Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: news from last 6 months / a neat Idea ;)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:01 pm 

soo..
I haven't been to the forums for, like, the last half year, partly because of school, partly because of lack of interest, but I feel like coming back now, so have any special cubes been made/have any new mechanisms been invented?

and...
About a year ago I had this great idea for a new cube mech (proof: a post in 'The "hints of secret ideas" thread!!! :-)') and a few weeks ago I finnaly decided to build a sketch/proof of concept for it with LEGO. It didn't turn out great - it's basically impossible to make curves with LEGO - but it worked :D
I may post a video, but I'm afraid someone will see the mech and reproduce it and perhaps make money from it, take credit for it, etc., which wouldn't be too fun :/ So I would like some help:
* either links to good CAD programs + tutorials, so I can model and 3d print it
* or if someone could make the 3d model for me
* or if I can get some guidance how get a patent ;) no, but srsly, a patent would be nice.

I would appreciate any help :)

Post subject: Re: news from last 6 months / a neat Idea ;)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 pm 

blueShinyApple wrote:
so have any special cubes been made/have any new mechanisms been invented?
I'm quite proud of my Doctor Skewb and my Thorny Cube. The Thorny Cube honestly needs another revison before I'd want to attempt a full scramble/solve with it but its still a nice proof of concept as is. I couldn't be happier though with the Doctor Skewb. As for other new puzzles just take a peak in Oskar's shapeways shop. And IMHO I think the highlight of the last 6 months has been Tom's Multidodecahedron. And there are many other puzzles which deserve mention but I'll let others present those.
blueShinyApple wrote:
or if someone could make the 3d model for me
I'm learning Solidworks and I have most of next week off work. Provided the geometry isn't too complex I'd be willing to try and help.
blueShinyApple wrote:
or if I can get some guidance how get a patent ;)
I can't help there. I haven't tried to get a patent on any of my puzzles and to be honest I'm not sure they are worth it. The cost is very high and the cost to enforce a patent is even higher and they aren't worth anything unless you are willing to enforce them. I also don't think anyone is getting rich at this (speaking of the designers I know on Shapeways). So unless you really think you are onto something BIG (and that's really hard to know in advance) I'd say make a 3D model and put in on Shapeways and be happy others are enjoying your designs and maybe earn a little extra pocket change along the way. Expect to keep your day job... :) At least that is the approach I've taken and I'm having fun with it.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:56 am 

blueShinyApple wrote:
* or if I can get some guidance how get a patent ;) no, but srsly, a patent would be nice.
You may want to read the Patent or not? thread, it has some good discussion on the pros and cons of patenting. I am quite willing to sell you my Nolo press book if you determine you want to proceed.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:51 pm 

I remember reading about that thorny cube in some concept thread, nice to see it made!
About my "proportional+unpillowed higher order cubes"-mech, I think I'll try to make a 4x4x1 prototype corner with some spare Lego parts + amazing sculpt, a proof-of-concept that I can show, and then we'll see if I'll patent it, or get some sales thing started - when I know what ppl think about it.
Well, time to get busy with the knife and plastic!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:42 pm 

I'm very interested to see what this idea is. I am not the most experienced designer but I would be glad to give the design a try. I should have plenty of free time after wednesday and I have been in need of some good new ideas. Also, I looked into patents and they seemed pretty expensive. I don't know for sure though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:34 pm 

Det är bara att hojta till om du behöver hjälp med nåt.
Jag har själv jobbat med diverse 4x4x1 designer, så ska bli kul att se vad du kommit på :D

Swedish cuber/builder

my epic 1x2x5

My super awesome website :D
http://www.olzcubez.tk/ - down for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olz91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 am 

blueShinyApple wrote:

In line with above advise: a patent is expensive.
You can patent an idea (without trying first if it actually works), but you better can work secretly on a prototype and if it works you can patent it then. Only risk doing the latter: someone else might patent it before you.

If you want to patent (you can start with a Swedish patent with a PCT for initial worldwide coverage), it's mostly only interesting when your mechanism can also be used e.g. for general household applications or machinery. I doubt if it's for puzzles worth the investment. (Ask an experienced puzzlemaker about the profit he made during 2 years: 1 year development and 1st year of production. A patent coverage from initially 1st year Sweden + PCT, and 2nd year EU + some countries (like USA) would probably costs you at least in the order of Euro 20.000,-. Dependent how difficult/extended the patent is in its description, whether your drawings are OK enough to implement in the patent (or a specialized designer has to do this) etc.)

Maybe a 'design registration' is cheaper. Most patent offices provide some intial free advice. Please ask for it there. Any consideration after a consult you can share here. That's fine with me.

Other idea (but risky if a party cannot be fully trusted; I've had a bad experience with a company so it's not theoretical that companies signing an NDA can always be fully trusted): go to a puzzle manufacturer, have him sign a Non-Disclosure, and offer to share patent + income from it (with the manufacturer paying the cost for patenting and upholding the rights).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 pm 

Thanks for all advice! I've understood that a patent is quite a bit too expensive for my liking. I have started building the prototype, and it seems like it actually will be able to cut corners!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:40 am 

What you can do: work 'secret' by making a prototype, and make sure that your invention is not made public (that's key). You may show it to some selected people in private (like a patent lawyer, your family, and some people that are experts on puzzles for instance), as long as the knowledge is kept 'inside' and not made public.

Do not show / publish a picture on this forum of the actual invention, as long as you're not sure whether there might be interest in a patent. It can be that someone from your selected people says: he, that's great. Let's patent it / it's worth patenting.

So: don't write off the patenting aspect directly, but bear in mind that it will not be something that is easily (with few costs) acquired. And you've to get profit from it by means of licensing the rights on your patent or by protection for your own production......