Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What if the first popular twisty puzzle wasn't the 3x3x3?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:27 pm 

What do you guys think the twisty puzzling world would be like if it wasn't kick off with the traditional Rubik's Cube and instead something else?
What if it was something like Oskar's Meteor Madness? Do you think we'd be speedsolving that and having world records of mere seconds? Or what if it was something just totally different?
I thought it was an interesting thing to ponder on so I figured I'd post it here for you guys to ponder as well.

Post subject: Re: What if the first popular twisty puzzle wasn't the 3x3x3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 pm 

Assuming something like Meteor Madness DID achieve extreme commercial success like the Rubik's Cube, I think it would eventually gather a community of solvers and speedsolvers. It is a very strange geometry, though, and I think beyond shape mods to the odd puzzle there wouldn't be too many variations like we have today. I feel like the community would be a smaller, closer group of mathematicians, and probably wouldn't include nearly as many teenagers like me, if any at all.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:21 pm 

If it hadn't been the 3x3 it would have been either the 2x2 or the Pyraminx, most likely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:24 am 

It's a fact: Unless Uwe has been lying to us, the Pyraminx DID come first! One thing I like about the Pyraminx, is that it's just simple enough so that the Layman puzzler will occasionally stumble across a solution. I actually created my own solution to my mom's Pyraminx as a child, and was solving it regularly in kindergarden. With regards to my mom's Rubik's Cube, I could either follow the confusing notation in the cube books (at least it was pretty confusing for a 5-year-old), or Grab a flathead screwdriver and do U45, pry edge! :lol:

My mom's cube got so loose from me disassembling it every time I wanted to solve it, that the thing finally fell apart just from rotating the faces. I didn't get another Rubik's Cube until my 13th birthday in 1994. The white Meffert's Pyraminx still survives intact to this day, despite having teethmarks in it from when I was a baby! :shock:

So yes, my vote would be the Pyraminx! :mrgreen: