Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shipping Times Data Collection Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:30 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
I've had this idea for a while. Mefferts' air-mail shipping is erratic, and so are other puzzle stores'. I've ordered things that arrive in a week, sometimes two weeks, sometimes three. HKnowstore shipped a $20 package in two weeks, but an $80 one took them three. It makes no sense! So why not collect data from a large population (you) and graph it?

All you need to do is post the following information, and I'll add it to the thread. I'll also make some nice Excel charts once we have enough replies for the data to be meaningful.

Format
Ordered: [list what you ordered, when you ordered it, and what the total cost was] Recieved: [when you recieved it] Shipping option: [to diffrentiate priority mail and international surface mail] Location: [be as specific as the country. If you live in a large country like the USA or Russia, try to narrow it down to the region.]

Data:
The list is currently empty.

Hopefully this hasn't been done before, and if it has, I haven't seen it so it should probably be re-started anyway.

Post subject: Re: Shipping Times Data Collection Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:23 pm 

I think this data will be questionably useful. Usually when you want to compare data you need to control for variables that you're not interested in. Having a bunch of people report data without listing all of the variables is going to make a mess. Also, there is an inherent selection bias to report long shipping times because they are annoying / frustrating. When something shipped in the time you expected you're less likely to report it.

For example, when I lived in San Diego (California) that post office was a total zoo. The line to pick up a package was usually 45 minutes long and they had packages stacked floor to ceiling everywhere. I had packages lost at that post office regularly and Meffert's was good enough to make phone calls help me track them down, something I was quite happy about but didn't feel the need to post about here on the forum.

Now living here in San Jose (California) the post office is very calm with never more than a 3 minute line and no stacked packages and only one lost package (which they found the same day).

Same state, two totally different experiences.

The amount of noise and selection bias in the data will lead you to false conclusions and this forum isn't big enough to collect enough data to calm the noise and provide meaningful results.

Post subject: Re: Shipping Times Data Collection Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:06 pm 

I really don't think the problem (from Meffert's) is the shipping itself, but more them actually shipping it. For example, I've been waiting almost 6 weeks for a Bermuda Cube. I'm convinced that they never shipped it. I've ordered from them once before and I'm convinced they took at least a week to ship it. Another issue with Meffert's is that it's impossible to contact them (and hear back). Unlike HKNowStore as Calvin is right here on the forums if you have an issue.

That's besides the point anyways, what I'm trying to say is that you're biggest uncontrolled variable will be when the merchant actually get's it shipped, not the shipping time itself.