Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle accounting
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:27 am 

My wife recently posed a question to me regarding my rapidly expanding puzzle collection which both boggles the mind and strains the bank account. Luckily my psychic paper allows me to pose as a mafia boss collector and allows me to afford much of what I need.

But her question did get me to thinking about my appetite for puzzle collecting which seems to be as voracious as a black hole, and I'm curious what other peoples perspectives on these questions are:

1. What is the most amount of money that you have ever spent on a single puzzle ( and what puzzle was it)?
2. What is the most amount of money that you WOULD ever spend on a single puzzle (and what puzzle would that be)?
3. How much money would you estimate that you have spent on your collection so far (and how long have you been collecting)?
4. How much money do you think your collection is worth currently (and have you gotten it insured)?
5. What's the most amount of time you have spent solving a puzzle in one sitting (and what was the puzzle)?
6. What is the one puzzle you would like to see most of all, no matter how complex or impossible the design before you leave this life and join the great puzzle solver in the sky?

Before I give my own embarrassing answers to these questions, I'm curious what other people have to say...

Post subject: Re: Puzzle accounting
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:40 am 

Doctor who wrote:
1. What is the most amount of money that you have ever spent on a single puzzle ( and what puzzle was it)?
2. What is the most amount of money that you WOULD ever spend on a single puzzle (and what puzzle would that be)?
3. How much money would you estimate that you have spent on your collection so far (and how long have you been collecting)?
4. How much money do you think your collection is worth currently (and have you gotten it insured)?
I think you are unlikely to get any real answers about these questions. Everyone's finances are different. If I spend thousands that doesn't tell you anything about how much you should/can spend. These numbers vary too much to be meaningful to you. My collection is not insured because 1) The collection is a sunk-cost 2) the loss of it would be an emotional one not a financial one 3) it is too hard to estimate the worth of some of the rare puzzles 4) I'm hesitant to let a collection mean so much to me that I need to get it insured.

Doctor who wrote:
5. What's the most amount of time you have spent solving a puzzle in one sitting (and what was the puzzle)?
On a computer the 3x3x3x3 took me 12 hours the first time and Gelatinbrain's 1.1.17 took me more than 4 hours. Physically my first Teraminx solve took me about 3 hours. The first physical puzzle to take me a very long time was the Crazy 4x4x4 II. I have now spent about 4 hours on Eric Vergo's Master Pentultimate and it's still scrambled due to screw-ups.

Doctor who wrote:
6. What is the one puzzle you would like to see most of all, no matter how complex or impossible the design before you leave this life and join the great puzzle solver in the sky?
TomZ has been kind enough to bring my dream puzzle into existence (The Multidodecahedron).

I would also love Gelatinbrain's 1.2.7, the Chopasaurus, the Big Chop (probably impossible), and a really smooth turning, high quality shell-mech'd Little Chop.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:19 am 

Doctor who wrote:
On this one, I actually put my puzzle collection right at the front door and leave one puzzle in each window as a burglar deterrent. Ever since I have used this method I've never had a break-in. Although a man in a black balaclava was seen running from the house screaming once. (seriously, I don't think it's the kind of thing people would steal, if there's a fire, well, I enjoyed it while I had it and I would probably replace the planet cubes & minxs).

Doctor who wrote:
I've already posted on this one: A 5x5 circle planet series and Carl's Real5x5 double circle cube (circle 5x5 IV), and Brandon is right: the Multidodecahedron is massively awesome. Another dream is the mass produced Master Brilic, Circle Master Kilominx II. And a smaller dream for good measure: The face+vertex turning, no circle, octahedra from Bo Hu's sim (like trajber's).

Quote:
What's the most amount of time you have spent solving a puzzle in one sitting (and what was the puzzle)?
At first I didn't read the `one sitting` part and I was going to post a month or two for the 3x3 Earth and Megaminx Earth, but I bought them not long after my 1st Rubiks cube ever, and I regarded them as my nemisis and worked on them intermittently with no clue. I don't spend long periods of time directly on one solve, I move away and come back, although now that I am working on the Bo Hu Sim more often I can't save it so.. I walk away and come back to jiggle the mouse :lol: .

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
If I spend thousands that doesn't tell you anything about how much you should/can spend.

Well, it does say a little about what you "can" spend, because you spent it :)
bmenrigh wrote:
These numbers vary too much to be meaningful to you.
bmenrigh wrote:
the loss of it would be an emotional one not a financial one

I absolutely agree with you! As a collector the cost is often times a trivial barrier to obtaining a puzzle that I hold in very high regard, and supporting the builders are of very high priority to me, and the loyalty I have to individuals who put in the effort to help expand a collection goes way beyond monetary limits.
bmenrigh wrote:
TomZ has been kind enough to bring my dream puzzle into existence (The Multidodecahedron).

I share your sentiments completely! I think if TomZ were not born, it would have been necessary to invent him!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:30 am 

Burgo wrote:
I actually put my puzzle collection right at the front door and leave one puzzle in each window as a burglar deterrent

I'm very glad to hear you say that, because I'll often have a puzzle with me in my car, and I'm always afraid someone will see it and break it! Now I see its safe :)
Burgo wrote:
3x3 Earth and Megaminx Earth

I'm right there with you too, Burgo! The 3x3 Saturn crazy cube still remains the longest time I've spent trying to solve a puzzle. I still break out into a sweat when I think of it! I think I should measure that in days rather then hours of solving attempts! I also agree with the 5x5 crazy/circle series, or maybe even a circle cuboid as on my wish list. Now that would be cool!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:11 am 

Doctor who wrote:
My wife recently posed a question to me regarding my rapidly expanding puzzle collection which both boggles the mind and strains the bank account.

I hope you didn't answer her because that will most likely be the end of your collecting days. :lol: :lol:

Doctor who wrote:
US$1000. I'm not telling because there are still a few I want to get one of these years, and I don't want any competition if they come up on our favorite auction site. And for those that have them/one, it's a lovely thing isn't it. (Cryptic I know, but I know of a few members of this forum who have them)

Doctor who wrote:
Same as question number 1. I think there are around 6 more that I would like to get, but having one is good enough for me. I can't wait until it gets here.

Doctor who wrote:

Not going to answer that one because I want to stay married. :lol: :lol:

Doctor who wrote:
No idea the 'true' value if it can even be calculated dollar wise. Is it insured? Well yes, in a round about way. It's (my collection that is) covered by our household insurance. I'd have to ask Mr. Man the value, but I seem to think it is somewhere along the lines of US$100,000. Would that replace everything in today's money? No way! But it would be a minor start.

Doctor who wrote:
Time? I could never answer this question. I always have a puzzle handy, and sit and fiddle all the time. Very rarely do I concentrate for a long time on any given puzzle.

Doctor who wrote:
That would by no slim margin be the space massager. I want one so bad I can taste it! And I know the time is coming when I'll get one. Patience grasshopper :lol: :lol:

Does that help you any?? Probably not. As mentioned earlier...your collection is worth what it is worth to you. Dollar value of them change all the time,so today's value might not be the same as tomorrows. As long as it makes you happy though, does anything else matter?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:21 am 

That was £127.61 on an 11x11x11 (sorry guys, I had to have it :oops: ).

That's a hard question. In my present circumstances, not more than £150.

Since I've been collecting since 1978, the total spend is hard to estimate. But since Feb 2010 I have spent at least £2,200 on puzzles.

My collection is not insured, but the insurance value would be well over £5,000.

That would be when a "friend" scrambled my teraminx, it took me days to solve it.

I love the deceptive simplicity of the Dino Chop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:54 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I hope you didn't answer her because that will most likely be the end of your collecting days.

Unfortunately, my wife is much smarter then me and usually knows the answers to her questions before she asks them. But she allows me my eccentricities :D

You bring up some great points, Kat, and have fleshed out exactly what I was going for with this topic. I could no sooner put a reasonable price on a collection that has provided me with so much enjoyment and challenge then I could a family picture. This was more of a thought experiment that I considered when the question was posed to me. But for the sake of completion and semi complete disclosure:

1) The most money I ever spent was over $2000 for a puzzle that I was searching for a long time, and launched at the opportunity when it presented itself. I'm not going to reveal the puzzle, as it represents something very personal to me and has led to a continued association with the seller that has been very enriching, leading to a rapid expansion of other puzzles to my collection as well as fantastic insights into puzzles in general.

2) The most that I WOULD spend, at the moment, is also the same as the first question. What I pay for when buying a puzzle, which is mostly directly from the builder, is as much for the purpose of supporting the builder as it is in obtaining the puzzle. Invest in your builders so you can have more puzzles!

3) My estimated total spending on my collection is likely around $10,000-$15,000. But bear in mind, I've only been at this for about 9 months!

4) Regarding how much its worth, likely a lot less then I payed, so maybe around $6,000-$8,000. Don't tell my wife, (who's looking over my shoulder now!) but there are a whole lot more on my wish list that I plan on getting (hey, put down that frying pan!)

5) The most amount of time I spent was on the Saturn 3x3. This took me about 4 hours, and was the first time I almost tasted defeat and had to concede that I just wasn't going to be able to solve it. Luckily I found my way through that and now all the crazy cube and megaminx puzzles are happily solved (wasn't I supposed to get a t-shirt?)

6) The puzzle that I would most like to see is a v cube 12x12x12. I know its not fancy, but to see a quality cube with that many layers gives me chills thinking about it, and I would then like to see a Traiphum modification to a 12x12x12 master morphinx.

katsmom wrote:
Does that help you any?? Probably not. As mentioned earlier...your collection is worth what it is worth to you. Dollar value of them change all the time,so today's value might not be the same as tomorrows. As long as it makes you happy though, does anything else matter?

It certainly did help, Kat, and no truer words have been spoken; a fitting sum up of how to explain to those wide eyed family members and friends as to why the collection keeps growing and why it need not end :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:31 pm 

Doctor who wrote:
My estimated total spending on my collection is likely around $10,000-$15,000. But bear in mind, I've only been at this for about 9 months! :D

I think I know who the next Claus will be... :P

I feel quite lame when answering these questions compared to the others who have answered it, but nevertheless:

1) $175, on the Curvy Copter II, but soon to be broken with $220 on the 4x5x6.
2) Can't really answer this one. I suppose currently, *maybe* $300 on a Starminx II. Not sure.
3) I've been collecting since January 2009, and I would guess I've spent £3000-£4500. It could be less though; I'm not too sure.
4) I think my collection is covered under the home insurance, but I wouldn't know, nor want to, know the monetary value of my collection currently.
5) Not in one sitting, but the Mercury Crazy Tetrahedron. I still haven't even solved it. Anyone feel free to send me some circle corner algorithms for it! :P
6) A hybrid of all the Starminxes.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:39 pm 

I have been collecting since roughly October 2009, my collection started off by buying lots of cheap crappy puzzles, then I managed to trade on to less but higher quality puzzles :D

1) The most that I have spent on a puzzle is my white Golden Cube and that was $55, a real bargain if you ask me :D

2) I would never go over $100, this is because I know that I could many more high quality puzzles for under $100 so I don't see the point in spending that much on just one.

3) I believe that I have spent no more than $550 of my own money, I have had a few puzzles bought for me (V Cube Collection, stickered pyraminx crystal, flowerminx and a few others). This goes back to October 2009.

4) My collection is worth however much someone is willing to pay for it, I have no idea and I don't want to have an idea to be honest. I enjoy my puzzles rather than thinking of the pile of money I could have instead.

5) Mine would be the Tuttminx, not because it was hard but the fact that I jumbled it and then it popped :) It wasn't a fun task reassembling it, I think it probably took 2.5-3 hours from start to finish to complete it.

6) I would like to see a Gear Human, it would be similar to Oskars Twisty Tree Puzzle but in the shape of a manikin and have gears (No pressure Oskar :D).

From being involved in this community I have probably made back a lot of the money spent on puzzles. A few boot sale find, some eBay bargains and some insanely good trades have really enabled my collection to grow in a direction I thought not possible with the funds that I was willing to put in.
I would like to add that I could happily spend hundreds of pounds/ dollars on puzzles, but I don't. I manage to with strain myself and I believe that by doing it this way i appreciate my puzzles a lot more.

This is my collection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt5NGYbBC8

Thanks Robert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:58 pm 

Doctor who wrote:
1. What is the most amount of money that you have ever spent on a single puzzle (and what puzzle was it)?
About $40,000 (so far) on Qubami. Do I win? :P

Robert111 wrote:
6) I would like to see a Gear Human, it would be similar to Oskars Twisty Tree Puzzle but in the shape of a manikin and have gears (No pressure Oskar :D).
You can buy those already - they're called Transformers. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:14 pm 

Luke wrote:
I think I know who the next Claus will be...

I'm flattered, but I can hardly hold a candle to someone of Claus's caliber!
Robert111 wrote:
I would like to add that I could happily spend hundreds of pounds/ dollars on puzzles, but I don't. I manage to with strain myself and I believe that by doing it this way i appreciate my puzzles a lot more.

I am quite envious of your and Luke's restraint, which I think is very wise. I'm given to fall into impulse buying when I see a puzzle that I "just can't resist." Just recently I bought a shapeways puzzle for over $100 only to find it mass produced literally two weeks later for $30! Its hard to feel bad about it because I really love the puzzle, but UGH! :roll:

I think your point is also well taken that you don't have to have spent a lot of money on your collection for it to have great meaning. We all have our own preferences and criteria we use when collecting, and each one is probably as unique as the individual. For instance, I never built a taste for the jumblers, the bandaged puzzles, or the gear puzzles. I don't really know why, but they just never clicked with me as part of my selection criteria. But then again, neither did the shapeshifters and I got over that quick :)
KelvinS wrote:
About $40,000 (so far) on Qubami. Do I win?

Yes, you certainly do! However, I am also very much indebted to you for introducing me to the Qubami cube! I looked it up as I've never heard of it and I'm instantly intrigued by it!!

By the way, I'm going to update my number 6 answer, and this is a call to arms to any talented builders out there. What I'd really like to see is a fully functional cuboid, like a 4x4x6 or a 3x3x5 in the shape and design of a TARDIS. I'd design and build it myself if I had anything that resembles talent. It must look exactly like one, complete with the light on the top and the windows and signs on the proper sides. It must look correctly proportioned, so it would have to be a cuboid. So I make that challenge to anyone willing to design such a thing! The rewards would be great! Maybe I'll make a contest out of it...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:40 pm 

Doctor who wrote:
By the way, I'm going to update my number 6 answer, and this is a call to arms to any talented builders out there. What I'd really like to see is a fully functional cuboid, like a 4x4x6 or a 3x3x5 in the shape and design of a TARDIS...

Already made - and sold! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycA9vk-LQIg
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14496

Seriously, if you want a Tardis Cuboid (rather than a cube) then I'm sure heiowge would make a very good one for you, exactly as you want it, and I'm also sure most people here would vouch for his quality artwork... :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:24 pm 

Doctor who wrote:

Though I bought it in a lot, I assigned an offer of $75 to the Rubik's Rabbits I own, which is the most I can remember paying for a single puzzle. The Rubik's Rabbits, however, I don't consider to be one of the most expensive puzzles I own.

Doctor who wrote:

I have been high bidder for $500, with a max bid of $650 on a single puzzle. Unfortunately the reserve wasn't met. I would probably pay the same price, perhaps $100 more if the conditions were right. I'd prefer not to disclose which puzzle it is, but I have a suspicion it might be the same one as what Katsmom is thinking?

Doctor who wrote:

I don't ever recall spending much more than an hour in one sitting solving a single puzzle. The time I did spend an hour on a puzzle was on my V-Cube 7.

Doctor who wrote:

I would think it would be neat to see physical 4D or 5D Rubik's Cubes made, like those in the computer simulations...? Now that I mention it, OSKAR come out with a prototype next week :lol:

I've omitted the valuation questions, but if you're really interested, PM me and I'd be happy to share some estimates. Katsmom suggested to me a while back to throw my spreadsheet out the window when I freaked out at what I spent on my collection, so I no longer have an accurate number as to what I paid for my collection :lol: You can probably get an idea by viewing most of my puzzle collection here. I've collected seriously for about 3 years now.

Ben

Edited to add: Doctor Who, I'd love to see pictures of your collection one day!

In search of Erno Rubik signed cube.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:32 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Already made - and sold!

Actually, I have seen this before, and its absolutely brilliant! What I'm looking for is the cuboid version that has the definite classic look. If you looked at it from a distance, it would just look like a model of the TARDIS with the twisty puzzle aspect showing only when you scramble it. Something like the house Bermuda cube or the house Smaz cube.

Heiowge would be a top contender for the job as his quality work is well known in the community.

Now if I were to offer a prize, what would be a worthy one...hmm...something that twisty puzzle fans hold in the highest regard...hmm...something that every puzzle builder would love to have...something rare and coveted within this community...hmm...
AHA! I got it! I know just the thing! I know exactly what would make all the work worthwhile, what every puzzle collector would want! More on that later...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:43 pm 

Ben wrote:
I would probably pay the same price, perhaps $100 more if the conditions were right. I'd prefer not to disclose which puzzle it is, but I have a suspicion it might be the same one as what Katsmom is thinking?

Well, now you and Kat have me very intrigued. PM me with a clue if you like, I promise to not scoop anyone if your intentions are made clear to own the puzzle. I would never deny someone the puzzle of their dreams by outbidding or outbuying if entrusted with the information. I'm very patient and don't mind waiting for one of my own.
Ben wrote:
Doctor Who, I'd love to see pictures of your collection one day!

After a few more puzzles come in, your wish will be my command.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:05 pm 

(A bit off-topic:)

Doctor who wrote:
Actually, I have seen this before, and its absolutely brilliant! What I'm looking for is the cuboid version that has the definite classic look. If you looked at it from a distance, it would just look like a model of the TARDIS with the twisty puzzle aspect showing only when you scramble it. Something like the house Bermuda cube or the house Smaz cube.

If I added a mechanism to this design it could be 3D printed:

Attachment:
File comment: 1
TardisProgress.png
TardisProgress.png [ 16.57 KiB | Viewed 3891 times ]

Of course you can see the TARDIS design is not finished(Need to put the little windows, light, door handle etc) - I am going to visit relatives so I don't have the time right now.

It has been quite interesting to design too, as it uses some different tools than I use for puzzles. Also all of the dimensions are just guesses from looking at pictures, since I didn't manage to find them anywhere online.

-Mark- :)

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Squiggle is such a funny word to say out loud. Squiggle! :lol:

I am with Frank's Family

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:38 pm 

Door wrote:
If I added a mechanism to this design it could be 3D printed:

Now you're talking! I knew if I just pointed some great minds in the right direction, then remarkable things would happen.

Now back on topic, my wife just informed me that my total puzzle expenditure for just the past month was over $1000! I took Rox and Ben's advice and told her to throw the spreadsheet out the window! Rather then that she just through my pillow and blanket on the couch :lol: (just kidding, she laughed).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:33 am 

Thanks for the positive comments about my 5x5 Tardis Cube. I may consider making a cuboid tardis in the future if no-one else makes one. :D

At present, however, I'm taking a break from puzzle building. My wife is in hospital at the moment, so my time is spent either visiting, running the kids to school or relatives to mind them or sleeping and I'm not getting more than about half an hour a day to do anything else.

Maybe in the future...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:28 am 

heiowge wrote:
At present, however, I'm taking a break from puzzle building. My wife is in hospital at the moment

Thanks for your input, and I'm quite honored to hear from you!
I'm so sorry to hear that your wife is ill, and I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I say that your in our hearts and minds nd I hope for a speedy recovery and return home of your wife.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:11 pm 

Don't be so cavalier with your puzzles!! A friend of ours had several Bishop Cubes in his car and he didn't lock it. Yep, they were stolen. Nothing else was taken. :(

I'm guessing it was kids with bad parents. :solved:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:19 pm 

Dr Who,
Did you read this article?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/1 ... 70113.html

Quote:
Fold.it was developed by researchers at the University of Washington with the hopes of bringing a human element back to the modeling process. "People have spatial reasoning skills, something computers are not yet good at," Seth Cooper, Fold.it's lead developer, said in a news release according to MSNBC. "Games provide a framework for bringing together the strengths of computers and humans."

So tell your wife you're just working on your spatial reasoning skills because it's your duty to save humanity. Then buy a Bishop Cubes puzzle! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:20 pm 

BishopCube wrote:
Don't be so cavalier with your puzzles!! A friend of ours had several Bishop Cubes in his car and he didn't lock it. Yep, they were stolen. Nothing else was taken.

I'm guessing it was kids with bad parents.

Or maybe it was me :twisted: (evil laugh)
And now you know my secret of how I got my collection :lol:

But you're right. I usually stash them in the glove compartment with a note that says "just return when solved."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:39 pm 

Doctor who wrote:

1) If you count customs, my split 3x3x4 is the most expensive I made that I currently own (I'm soon getting myself an Elite Kilominx though
2) I think I would spend 500$ for a Big Chop
3) I think I spent about 2.2k $ on my collection and I've been collecting since 25th december 2009
4) It's now worth around 2.9k $
5) 2 hours and 50 minutes, Teraminx
6) Big Chop definitely

Luke wrote:
I think I know who the next Claus will be...

I definitly agree with you :P

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:51 pm 

BishopCube wrote:

I just read through it, and its pretty fascinating stuff. When you think about it, the 3 dimensional tertiary structure of a protein's folded configuration, which lends it the specificity for discrete antigenic binding and facilitation of lowering the kinetics of molecular reactions, is obviously within the cognitive abilities of the puzzle solver to manipulate.
In other words, twisty puzzle solvers rule!
BishopCube wrote:
So tell your wife you're just working on your spatial reasoning skills because it's your duty to save humanity.

I did, and then she told me to first work on my skills at folding the laundry before saving humanity :roll:
BishopCube wrote:
Then buy a Bishop Cubes puzzle!

I just checked it out, and I will, I will!
RubixFreakGreg wrote:
1) If you count customs, my split 3x3x4 is the most expensive I made that I currently own (I'm soon getting myself an Elite Kilominx though
2) I think I would spend 500$ for a Big Chop

Knowing the quality of your work, I think I would definitely add many of your designs as one of my # 6 puzzles, which I believe would be worth at least what you listed in # 2 :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:08 pm 

Doctor who wrote:
BishopCube wrote:

I just read through it, and its pretty fascinating stuff. When you think about it, the 3 dimensional tertiary structure of a protein's folded configuration, which lends it the specificity for discrete antigenic binding and facilitation of lowering the kinetics of molecular reactions, is obviously within the cognitive abilities of the puzzle solver to manipulate.
In other words, twisty puzzle solvers rule!

I did my PhD in this field (protein folding) and indeed this is an amazing triumph for human puzzle solvers vs computers, which I previously posted here (though nobody picked up on it at the time): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22148

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:11 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Doctor who wrote:

1) $42 on numerous puzzles. I also have a $45 C4U Gigaminx and a $65 V-Cube 7, but they were gifts.
2) Not sure. It would be under $50 until I get a job, though...
3) About $300. I've been collecting for 7 months now.
4) About $600... no customs or non-massproduced puzzles in my collection. However, I have many puzzles that were presents.
5) Once I tried doing my Gigaminx in one sitting. I lasted about 45 minutes before getting fidgety and getting up. This will soon change on my plane ride to Austria, though...
6) Um... a Magic 120-cell that would work somehow. (Also, I'd like the full set of "space" puzzles to be mass-produced)

I feel a bit depressed now that I've really thought about how much I've spent. But it has much more value for money than a collection of terrible first-person shooters!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:36 pm 

KelvinS,
thanks for linking to your post. The news link in your article was much more indepth than mine.
So if you don't mind, I'll put a direct link here.
http://m.cbsnews.com/blogsfullstory.rbm ... ofeed=null

This got my attention because it's similar to the way you solve the Bishop Cubes puzzles. The idea is to make different shapes out of a series of blocks without taking them apart.

Other than that, it's just really an amazing testament to the power of the human brain when it's engaged in playful activity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:08 pm 

I have just celebrated my first anniversary of puzzle collecting - Oct 28 2010 was when i made my first puzzle purchase (as an adult) and I had absolutely no idea at the time how much this hobby was going to consume me over the next year!!

I've spent over $200 on puzzles twice - once for a 12 colour dogic and once for a custom puzzle

It would depend on the puzzle but I think about $200 is where i draw the line, give or take, depending on the puzzle....and how much i neeeeed it :lol: impossible to answer that one!

I think about €5000 but i have been constantly trading and selling too because to begin with i didn't know which types of puzzles really interested me or whether i wanted to collect boxed puzzles etc so i would say a net spend of maybe €2000 (collecting for 1 year)

. How much money do you think your collection is worth currently (and have you gotten it insured)?
Maybe about €2300 but it's really hard to be accurate because prices for some of the rare items fluctuate so much. (not beyond regular house insurance, i'm not sure if it's worth it yet)

About 4 hours on the professor pyraminx - and i still hadn't solved it when i left in a huff!! I usually just spend an hour here and there on puzzles though.

I'm really looking forward to the new batch of astrolabacus' because it is a puzzle i never thought i would own (so i guess that is really a better answer to number 2) I tend to favour simpler puzzles over ones that need hours upon hours of "work" even when you know how to solve them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:11 pm 

Zzupler wrote:
I have just celebrated my first anniversary of puzzle collecting - Oct 28 2010 was when i made my first puzzle purchase (as an adult) and I had absolutely no idea at the time how much this hobby was going to consume me over the next year!!

Funny you should say that! This holiday season will be my one year anniversary, as it all started when I was holiday shopping in
December when I saw a rubik's cube staring back at me oh so seductively. I bought it for myself just to see if I can solve it, something I was never able to do as a kid, and solved it in about 2 hours just following the instructions in the package. After another hour I had memorized the algorithms and was able to pick it up and solve it without referring to the notes.

Like you, Zzupler, at the ripe age of 41, I had no idea that this would grow to be the hobby/obsession that it has over the past year! I'm amazed that it was hiding there for so long, and wonder how I satisfied my puzzle solving desires before! I ask my self where this will lead to and what is the end game, but I find it more fun enjoying the journey and not thinking too much about the destination. However, I suppose the point of this thread is to reflect on where you've been and the investments made.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 am 

1. I've only bought mass-produced puzzles. I think the most I've spent was about $35 for the Dayan Gem III. I also have a V-cube 7 but that was a gift.

2. Probably not more than $50. Hard to justify spending that much, versus a video game or something with a bit more to do than a twisty puzzle. :) I'm trying to convince myself to buy some of Meffert's newer puzzles like the Vulcano and Mosaic Cube in the $40+ range.

3. Something like $400, it's only about 25 puzzles, and I was thinking that was a lot until this thread. :) Two years of collecting; it was a Megaminx as a Christmas gift in 2009 that really got me started. (I learned the 3x3x3 many years ago and had a 4x4x4 too but never branched out until recently.)

4. $400 or less, definitely no need to insure anything.

5. Rarely or never sit down and solve for more than an hour or so. I often solve on and off with half my attention, while watching TV or sometimes even at work.

6. It would have been the Dayan Gem III if I'd seen the prototype concept before it was produced. I want more puzzles like the Gem III, with two different types of turning faces. The Tuttminx qualifies for this category too, and cuboids like 3x3x4 sort of fit, though I can't think of any others offhand.

Also a face-turning rhombic dodecahedron. I don't think that's been seriously proposed or designed. It might just be basically a shape/sticker mod of the Helicopter Cube family though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:43 pm 

Slightly over $100, for the Edge Turning Octahedron. Thankfully, this puzzle was offered in small sections on Shapeways so I could purchase one at a time. Otherwise, I could not afford this wonderful puzzle.

I really want that 4x5x6, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to swing it.

I've been collecting since the early 1980s, but my collection isn't worth nearly what some others are.

Whatever someone would pay, I guess. Not that much, though.

The longest time I have ever spent solving a puzzle was actually on Gelatinbrain. Physical puzzle, I'd say it was probably my 7x7x7.

Hard to say, really. Maybe a 13x13 tetrahedron or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 pm 

$2,200 Diamond Cutter's Sterling Silver Cube
see #1
$80,000+ / 20+ years
see #3 / no
3 hours / 3x3x3
I have all the puzzles I wanted

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:38 pm 

Doctor who wrote:

I'm sure as a lot of you know...
I guess I have to say it - Petaminx $3550
Quote:

Petaminx - That was the last custom puzzle I bought.
Quote:

Never added it, but I'm guessing at least 5 figures. Since 2003
Quote:

Wasn't this in another thread about if there was a fire? lol... not insured :(
Quote:

Probably 2 hours - a day for 2 weeks solving the Teraminx the very first time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:10 pm 

katsmom wrote:
US$1000. I'm not telling because there are still a few I want to get one of these years, and I don't want any competition if they come up on our favorite auction site. And for those that have them/one, it's a lovely thing isn't it. (Cryptic I know, but I know of a few members of this forum who have them)

Doctor who wrote:
1) The most money I ever spent was over $2000 for a puzzle that I was searching for a long time, and launched at the opportunity when it presented itself. I'm not going to reveal the puzzle, as it represents something very personal to me and has led to a continued association with the seller that has been very enriching, leading to a rapid expansion of other puzzles to my collection as well as fantastic insights into puzzles in general.

Both of these coments have got me very very curious. The thought of a $1000+ puzzle out there, that I may not be aware of, is something I want to know more about. So these questions are directed at both of you.

(1) Are these twisty puzzles or some other kind of puzzle?
(2) Is the puzzle itself common (say a 3x3x3) and its just so valuable due to what its made out of?
(3) Has the puzzle been shown publically here on Twisty puzzles or elsewhere?

If you can't answer these that's ok... but you sure know how to make one curious.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:48 pm 

1) another kind, although some are "twisty" and all are definitely twisted.
2) hm. depends on the puzzle and the run size....common? I would have to say not very but enough.
3) Not on TP but elsewhere if you know what to look for.....

Not very helpful am I? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:13 am 

506173 wrote:
$2,200 Diamond Cutter's Sterling Silver Cube
reeeech wrote:
I guess I have to say it - Petaminx $3550

Looks like we've got some hard core collectors in the house! Great, it makes me feel better about my investments :)
506173 wrote:
3 hours / 3x3x3

Actually, if was completely honest about it I would say, since I remember playing with the 3x3 when I was 10, but never solved it until I was 40, although not one sitting it took me about 30 years to solve the 3x3!
wwwmwww wrote:
(1) Are these twisty puzzles or some other kind of puzzle?
(2) Is the puzzle itself common (say a 3x3x3) and its just so valuable due to what its made out of?
(3) Has the puzzle been shown publically here on Twisty puzzles or elsewhere?

Well, you're right, its not fair to be that cryptic, so I'll oblige:
(1) It is definitely a twisty puzzle.
(2) The puzzle is not common at all, but you all know it very well.
(3) The puzzle has been shown publicly here and elsewhere, and, come to think of it, was even mentioned in this very thread...
Aw, heck with it, since you asked, rather then tell you, I'll just show you. Now, keep in mind, this was a puzzle that I thought was unobtainable for a neophyte such as me, destined to be owned only by the most seasoned of puzzle solvers/builders. This was the holey grail to my Galahad, the excalabur to my Arthur, the Doctor to my Captain Jack :wink:

Keep in mind, as I gaze at my collection, the memories that they give me have as much to do with the people who designed the puzzles for me as they are for the puzzles themselves. I have been most gratified at the community of twisty puzzle aficionados who reflect a genuine desire and commitment to help expand the collection of like minded people. This often results in going well above and beyond what is requested, often working tirelessly long hours to get the job done.

A perfect example in this very thread is how, almost immediately after I expressed an interest in a TARDIS cube, Door (Mike, I believe his name is) quickly launched into action and had already rendered a 3D model with thoughts on how to make the mechanics work! That kind of commitment and eagerness to rise to the occasion is something that I only wish I saw more of in my everyday job!

I bought the puzzle from Geert Hellings, and as you can see from the video, he threw in a lot of other puzzles just as an added bonus, as well as a copy of his book! Knowing my interest in cuboids and mods, his continued correspondence led to many associations with other builder such as Ola, leading to my aquisition of his 4x4x2 and 5x5x7 (see that thread here: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopi ... 91&start=0 ), which as you see he included more then I bargained for, as well as other very eager and skilled builders like Sigurd, and Tanner Frisby.

So the buying of the puzzle from him means more then just having a fantastic twisty puzzle, but represents my introduction to a community of very personable and brilliant puzzle builders who even as I speak work tirelessly to help expand my collection. This is something that you can't really assign a monitary value to! Anyway, here's the video of the puzzle, if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3EoTzsW2i4