Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What would you prefer?
Crazy Tetrahedron- Solid colors 5%  5%  [ 17 ]
Crazy Tetrahedron- Black or white 9%  9%  [ 35 ]
Crazy 3x3x3- Solid colors 5%  5%  [ 19 ]
Crazy 3x3x3- Black or white 10%  10%  [ 37 ]
Crazy 4x4 I- Solid colors 4%  4%  [ 14 ]
Crazy 4x4 I-Black or white 10%  10%  [ 37 ]
Crazy 4x4 II- Solid colors 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
Crazy 4x4 II-Black or white 10%  10%  [ 39 ]
Crazy 4x4 III- Solid colors 5%  5%  [ 18 ]
Crazy 4x4 III-Black or white 9%  9%  [ 35 ]
Crazy Octahedron- Solid colors 5%  5%  [ 18 ]
Crazy Octahedron- Black or white 10%  10%  [ 38 ]
Crazy Dodecahedron- Solid colors 5%  5%  [ 19 ]
Crazy Dodecahedron- Black or white 9%  9%  [ 35 ]
Total votes : 376
 Post subject: Dayan/MF8 crazy puzzles- Black/White Vs Solid Colors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:39 pm 

Alaskajoe gave me this idea. Very simple, just vote for what material YOU would prefer the MF8/Dayan crazy puzzles to be produced in. Maybe if we get enough momentum, they will listen to us. After all, they are companies, looking for profit. If the majority of the public would buy their puzzles in black or white, I am sure they would do so. Equally, if there is not much interest, then they get the clear message that they are doing what the customers want.

The poll is set up with two options for each of the seven sets of crazy puzzles that they have produced. Although it is possible to vote seven times on the one option you personally really want, please do not. I thought it would be better to have one topic, and one poll, for these entire issue, than to have a separate one for each of their puzzles. So you have 7 votes, and you vote of either the colored "plastic", or the "black or white" for each puzzle.

Please discuss any colored plastic Vs Black/white plastic issues HERE, instead of on the various new puzzle threads.

Mods- If you feel that this is at all inappropriate, please let me know and I will make changes.

:solved: :scrambled: :solved:

Post subject: Re: Dayan/MF8 crazy puzzles- Black/White Vs Solid Colors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:55 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Mostly I like solid plastic, but a few would probably look better in black/white plastic (the crazy 4x4x4 III, the crazy octahedra...).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:14 pm 

DudeHuLubeDaRubeCube wrote:
If the majority of the public would buy their puzzles in black or white, I am sure they would do so. Equally, if there is not much interest, then they get the clear message that they are doing what the customers want.

I think that's where most people are mistaken; the members of this forum do not make up the majority of mf8's customers.

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:45 pm 

will_57 wrote:
If the majority of the public would buy their puzzles in black or white, I am sure they would do so. Equally, if there is not much interest, then they get the clear message that they are doing what the customers want.

I think that's where most people are mistaken; the members of this forum do not make up the majority of mf8's customers.
I suspect their mainland China sales are more than 50% of their total sales. I'm pretty sure our preference for white or black plastic with stickers and a non-planet version of the circle puzzles available has little/no influence on MF8.

It is what it is. I'm surprised there is so much complaining about it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:32 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
GoombaGeek wrote:
a few would probably look better in black/white plastic (the crazy 4x4x4 III, the crazy octahedra...).

let me tell you, a crazy 4x4x4 III is more or less impossible to make in black plastic- that is, if you actually plan on sticking the little corner circles. I own a colored plastic one, and let me tell you, most of the surface area on the corner circle is filleted off. any chance of a sticker adhering without outside adhesive influence (i.e. superglue) is null.

though I will admit, the crazy 3x3x3's would look better in black with stickers (or tiles, for more durability.)

another thing is, I think it's quite likely that this will not be produced in eight solid colors, or will at least have an option for black/white- so far, all of MF8's puzzles with >6 faces, regardless of having split pieces or not, have appeared in only solid colors- example are the three Dayan Gems (I know Gem I is available in colored plastic, but the black/white ones are more common) and the Dayan Dino Dodecahedron. The most probable explanation for this is that, at a certain point, it gets that so many colors of plastic actually gets more expensive than sticking the puzzles, thereby defeating the entire economic purpose of having full-colored plastic, anyhow.

I also doubt that MF8 will change their products to please a tiny percentage of their customers- this isn't the first time humans have thought themselves to be more important than they really are.

in the end, we need to face the facts- colored plastic is more economic, more practical (especially on puzzles with tinier pieces, like crazy 4x4x4 III) and a majority of their customers (including many of us here) don't give a hoot anyhow.

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:52 pm 

I cant vote. Black or white is not a good option. Black and white is however. :)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:34 pm 

I just wanted to say that I personally would prefer colored plastic. I think that using minute stickers would be a really bad idea, and like you have said, its uneconomical and unlikely for them to change what they do just for us TP members (small proportion of total market anyway)

But 2 of the three crazy 4x4s use black plastic... I would HATE to have those two sticking out amongst the rest of them (I don't own them all... yet)

This poll works both ways, it may be that people prefer colored plastic instead of stickers, and so there is a (very slim) chance that the 4x4 I and 4x4 II will be produced in 6 colors. I can hope at least :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:57 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
...It is what it is. I'm surprised there is so much complaining about it.
Me too! :o
As I have said on another thread already, there are two conflicting issues here
1. playing with the puzzles without loosing stickers (many of them really tiny)
2. how nice they look on a shelf (and better never touch them again :lol: )

I'm deeply convinced that not many playing with them will prefer black / white.
I have even ordered a second Saturn 3x3x3 in coloured plastic, because my black Saturn does not look so nice anymore with damaged stickers.
I'll resticker the black and give it a rest on a shelf :)

So, consider how you would vot on my 1. / 2. before you vote on this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:17 am 

Not quite the topic I had in mind, but I agree now that it definetely is better to have a single thread about it and leave the puzzle topics alone.
Yes, I did accept the fact that the customers wanting black and/or white puzzles are the minority. However the idea is, that if 500 people stand up and say "We all want a black or white crazy 3x3x3." it will convince them for a short production run.
I am not saying that I am sure so many would but you can only try. I also see that the opinions on black and white are going apart.
So I guess all of us who like stickered puzzles better (or tiled ones) will probably just have to accept it the way it is.
It's just that I don't see why making a production in black when you have a production for so many different plastic colors would cost more. especially since aparrantly the puzzles aren't assembled from machines but by hand. Just making more pieces in a solid color and small run can't be so hard.
It's still difficult for me to accept that there is a company now that produces all kinds of circle puzzles, which are really cool, but I just can't have them the normal style.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:51 am 

I will NEVER buy puzzle with solic colours - this is too ugly, so they can keep it. Especially, if there are 8!
If stickers is likely to go off on these kind of puzzles, tiles on a blake cube like the crazy II is a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:55 am 

Surely it can't be that expensive to just put black (or white) plastic into the moulds, instead of red, blue, yellow, white, green and orange.

I think that it woulds actually be cheaper to sell black (or white) versions than the solid color versions. And there is always the possibility of them just putting all the parts into a bag, and selling them as DIY kits. That would mean minimal labour required- and as they already have the moulds, surely the only costs would be from the plastic itself.

I would prefer to have a set of all black, or all solid colors. whichever way they go I dont really mind to be honest, but I can't see how it would be difficult to (as Joe said) make a small production run of them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:54 am 

Surely it can't be that expensive to just put black (or white) plastic into the moulds, instead of red, blue, yellow, white, green and orange.

I think that it woulds actually be cheaper to sell black (or white) versions than the solid color versions. And there is always the possibility of them just putting all the parts into a bag, and selling them as DIY kits. That would mean minimal labour required- and as they already have the moulds, surely the only costs would be from the plastic itself.

Don't forget for them to do an all black or white puzzle they would need to design a sticker pattern and get stickers made which adds cost. The stickers need to be applied to the puzzles too which adds extra steps to the production of the puzzle. Also, DIY kits may appeal to some of the enthusiasts here (mostly because it is the only way we can get some puzzles) but I just don’t see the general public being interested in them.

Running multiple colors isn’t really that much of an added expense. These days it has become expected that puzzles are produced in both black and white and the process is the same to make six, eight, or twelve colors.

When given the choice between black and white I always choose black. But given the choice between black and a full color puzzle I get the full color ones except in the cases where the full color ones don’t completely duplicate the black/stickered puzzle (like the full color V-Cube 7s with their single color corner pieces).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 pm 

It is hard to say, but I have bought a full circle megaminx to dye it, and I was a bit surprised when I saw the coulour plastic puzzle.
It looks nicer than in the pictures. It is not so bad... It costs me a lot to say that.
Actually, I think that it could be the futur of cubing, because it avoids to lose stickers.
But, I think I would dye it anyway to be consistent with others puzzle of my collection.
F...! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:14 pm 
i said that they should be black and white but for the coloured puzzles the could be casted and modded.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:58 pm 

My stickers peel off. I need solid colors.