Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Professor Pyraminx Shipping
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:23 pm 

Hey guys,

I ordered my Professor Pyraminx through the Jade Club on the second day it was available. I was wondering if anyone has received theirs yet and what they think of the quality? I am excited for this puzzle to arrive and I'm really interested to hear how the turning is. By all means, show yours off in this thread! :D

Chris Hemerich

Post subject: Re: Professor Pyraminx
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:25 pm 

Hey Chris,

I know you live in the U.S. too so I figured this may help. I ordered mine the first day it came out and have not received the puzzle yet. I am also not 100% sure if the puzzles have even shipped yet.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Professor Pyraminx Shipping
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:49 pm 

I received it today. Turning quality is OK. Easy to turn, but looks like it needs to adjust a little bit tension (make it tighter), because some pieces look loose for me. While I'm happy with the quality. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 pm 

TAKE PICTURES! you lucky little puzzler you. :lol:
I am interested in a size comparison to a normal pyraminx. I guess/hope the prof pyraminx is at least not smaller than the normal one?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:41 pm 

alaskajoe wrote:
TAKE PICTURES! you lucky little puzzler you. :lol:
I am interested in a size comparison to a normal pyraminx.

The size of the professor pyraminx is very close to that of a normal pyraminx. Here is a picture for size comparison:

Like Aleh already mentioned, the outer edge pieces seem somewhat loose and rattle a bit (but not more than edge pieces on a pyraminx crystal), but the puzzle still turns easily right out of the box. The bottom layer occasionally catches a bit if pieces are not aligned properly, but this puzzle was never intended for speed solving, and I am quite pleased with the overall quality. :)

Unlike for the mosaic cube, the turning quality of the professor pyraminx seems to have improved noticably from the prototype Rox showed in this video. When properly aligned the turning feels nice and smooth, and the top layer (not counting the trivial tip) is now easily finger trickable.

Last edited by Klara on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:29 pm 

Cool thanks for the picture. Infact the prof pyraminx is a bit smaller than I expected from Rox' vid.
Nice pattern on the Mosaic cube btw. And also on the Mastermorphix wihich wasn't obvios to detect at first. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 am 

Just to let you know: I have received my Proffesor Pyraminx. Ordered via jadeclub.org on January 20, reserved November 24. I'm in Germany. I have not received further shipping notice (In case of the Mosaic Cube, I have got a Paypal notice at shipping time.)

Mine turns very well, nice stickers too. I hope, I'm not the lucky one again :) and that there are no reasons for complaints this time.
Unfortunately, I do not have the time right now to look, if I can solve it. Probably, reduction is a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:30 am 

Mine came Tuesday, picked it up today. Turning is excellent out of the box!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:53 am 

Mine just came today.

What happened to the flourescent stickers?

Mine has the same German vinyl as my Mosaic cube, skewb diamond and pyraminx crystal. Not that I'm bothered, but I really like the flourescent ones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:03 pm 

bigpops wrote:
Mine just came today.

What happened to the flourescent stickers?

Mine has the same German vinyl as my Mosaic cube, skewb diamond and pyraminx crystal. Not that I'm bothered, but I really like the flourescent ones.

He used them on as many as he could, and shipped those to the earliest purchasers. No puzzles will have it anymore, as it is no longer in production and they've run out.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:33 pm 

Mine came today! What a wonderful puzzle. Turns very well right out of the box.

Love this puzzle!

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:42 pm 

mizzle576 wrote:
Mine came today!
Mine still didn't come. I ordered it on January 19. Did yours come with the florescent stickers? I hope I got my order in early enough to have them. I'm kind of bummed as there won't be any mail delivery on Monday (in the US) so mine won't be here until Tuesday at the earliest.

I did however today receive a package from Israel. But that's for another thread in another section of the forum...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 pm 

Came today. Ordered on Jan 21. Has the fluorescent stickers. Quite happy with the turning and overall quality of the puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:47 am 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
For anyone who has received a puzzle, mind making a video? I'd like to see the turning before I order the puzzle. (I'm sure we have different standards of 'smooth', 'clicky', etc. A video is the least biased way of describing turning :) )
Thanks.

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:04 am 

I have just received my Professor Pyraminx. (ordered on 20th Jan).

I don't see how one could compare the Mosaic Cube with this puzzle. Professor Pyraminx is simply great out of the box, turns incredibly well and stays in shape. Even the size...I usually like bigger puzzle and thought this one is too small, but it's not...it's just the right size.

The only complaint someone could make is regarding the non centered stickers, like with many Meffert's puzzles. But I'm not too picky regarding this and don't care too much. I don't see any reason why Meffert wouldn't produce this puzzle in the future.

I recommend getting this puzzle!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:15 pm 

Yay! I got mine today! It's a fun challenge; it's not hard but it does make you think a little. Possibly my favourite mass produced puzzle at the moment.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 pm 

I got mine yesterday. I ordered two; one is fine, the other pops like crazy. I think on of the corners isn't tight enough and it's causing the edge pieces below it to fall out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:26 pm 

I got mine today, it turns pretty nicely. Except the trivial tips, they take considerable force to turn. The part underneath them is hollow so they tips sink in to that hole slightly making them hard to turn. Is this normal, or am I unlucky and did the factory worker forget to place the cap that should have been underneath the tip?

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:45 pm 

TomZ wrote:
I got mine today, it turns pretty nicely. Except the trivial tips, they take considerable force to turn. The part underneath them is hollow so they tips sink in to that hole slightly making them hard to turn. Is this normal, or am I unlucky and did the factory worker forget to place the cap that should have been underneath the tip?

From what I can see on mine, you were unlucky - I have a cap underneath my trivial tips, and they turn fine... Maybe just slightly tighter than the rest of the puzzle, but nothing like what you describe...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:59 pm 

TomZ wrote:
... The part underneath them is hollow so they tips sink in to that hole slightly making them hard to turn. Is this normal, or am I unlucky and did the factory worker forget to place the cap that should have been underneath the tip?
I like the way they turn. (I do not believe that you are unlucky, the parts underneath are hollow on mine, too.) So, they do not turn without intention. You will not turn them very often during a solve, anyway, right? :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 pm 

I have the same problem. It would be better if they turned at least smoothly. Also, no caps under the tips makes it hard to lubricate them. :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:17 pm 

Mine finally came today. It did not have the nice fluorescent stickers. I'm bummed about that. How come people who ordered after me got them?

Also, I'm going to reference a post I made a while ago:
viewtopic.php?p=244609#p244609

I commented on how poorly the stickers were placed on the sample puzzle pictured on their site. Well mind is even worse! Some of the yellow stickers are actually hanging over the rounded edges of the pieces! And is this really how the Timur and Meffert's stickers are supposed to be placed?
Attachment:
badstickers.jpg
badstickers.jpg [ 63.37 KiB | Viewed 5951 times ]

This is my 3rd Meffert's puzzle in a row with very poorly applied stickers (Volcano and Mosaic were the other 2). I really wish Meffert's would sell more puzzles as DIYs without the stickers on them, or at least sell replacement stickers.

Are these applied by a machine or by hand? If by a machine then something really needs to be adjusted. If they are hand applied them someone needs to step up on the quality control.

I haven't even turned this puzzle yet and already I'm disappointed in it :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:
Mine finally came today. It did not have the nice fluorescent stickers. I'm bummed about that. How come people who ordered after me got them?

When did you order it? Was it through the Jade club? I'm actually hoping I don't get the fluorescent stickers. I don't like them and they are a pain to remove.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 am 

Alex wrote:
When did you order it? Was it through the Jade club? I'm actually hoping I don't get the fluorescent stickers. I don't like them and they are a pain to remove.
I am quite sure you can trade with someone if yours has the fluorescent stickers, so don't take them off :)

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 am 

Alex wrote:

I ordered it through the Jade Club (I'm a VIP+ member) on January 19th at 12:55 PM EST (according to PayPal). I would be willing to trade.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm 

Monopoly wrote:
For anyone who has received a puzzle, mind making a video? I'd like to see the turning before I order the puzzle. (I'm sure we have different standards of 'smooth', 'clicky', etc. A video is the least biased way of describing turning :) )
Thanks.

Here's my unboxing video with a little turning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZVRoQ7 ... ture=feedu . I found it very smooth turning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:11 pm 

Great video thanks. I have been waiting for this.

Btw, it's already out of stock? I haven't even received mine yet lol. I thought it would be there for a month or two more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:16 pm 

Too bad it's out of stock already. I wanted to buy one eventually. Was this a limited edition puzzle or is a new production run already plannend?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:05 pm 

I ordered on Jan 24th, and received my Professor Pyraminx today. This is the first time it took more than 2 weeks for me to receive an order from Meffert's, but understandably Golden Week was in between.

It appears that I placed my order quite late, but I still got the textured fluorescent stickers and am very pleased to have it match my Meffert's Pyraminx. The puzzle turns very nicely when everything is lined up, but pieces do catch once in a while. However, do not expect to be able to speed solve it like you would a 3x3x3. This puzzle also has quite a very nice heft to it, like Uwe mentioned in his newsletter.

Like several people mentioned earlier, the sticker placement was a bit sloppy. Some of my stickers on my puzzle were really off-centered, and the logos being upside down (compared how they were placed on previous puzzles) bothered me a bit. I would have prefered my stickers to be placed upright on the tips, but hey, that's how it is, maybe they are placed like that for a reason.

Rox mentioned in the past when people were complaining about the minor details, and I agree with her - we'll just have to deal with it. Yes, from the business student's perspective, I see it as "bad", but from the puzzle collector's (and business) perspective, I see it as a blessing when someone is willing to go through all the trouble (and possibly financial burden) to produce for such a niche hobby/market. If you don't like your stickers, why don't you try and hand cut some better ones?

I'm also surprised to see that it has already sold out! I'm glad I placed my order as soon as I can instead of waiting like I usually do! Thanks again to Uwe, Timur, and everyone who is involved in making this puzzle!

Ben

In search of Erno Rubik signed cube.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:00 am 

We were told that these stickers would be limited but that they would be sold on a first come first serve basis. I see no reason why people who ordered up to 5 days after me got them instead of me.

Last edited by Volitar Prime on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:21 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:
We were told that these stickers would be limited but that they would be sold on a first come first serve basis. I see no reason why people who ordered up to 5 days after me got them instead of me. So I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to get them at this point.

Sorry to hear that yours did not come with the fluorescent stickers, even though you placed your order an hour earlier than I did, and I got the flourescent version.

I am not sure if this is relevant, but did you also reserve the Professor Pyraminx the same day the puzzle appeared on the Jade club reservation site (back in November 2010)? On some previous puzzle releases I believe it was stated that "puzzles will be shipped in the order of reservation", and according to this post by Ben, reserving early may be of greater importance than purchasing the same day a puzzle is released. I don't know how the shipping order was determined for the Professor Pyraminx, but anyway it seems to be a good idea to always make sure to also reserve a puzzle early...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 am 

Yes, I did reserve on the Jade Club site as soon as it was listed there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:47 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:
Yes, I did reserve on the Jade Club site as soon as it was listed there.

Me too Volitar! I ordered mine within an hour of being released and I received one without the special labels.

Chris :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:39 pm 

The 'buy' button is still active on the jade club site. I wonder if they just forgot to update, or if they really still have some for jade members.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:47 am 

I got mine today and it came with fluorescent stickers. I wouldn't mind the German stickers, but I guess I'll have to live with these. I don't want to trade it and wait for another 14 days before I can play with it. :roll: I ordered on the 21st but not through the Jade club.

Anyway, this puzzle is great, all the layers except the tips turn like butter, and really, who turns the tips on these anyway :lol:

The stickers were somewhat misplaced and some were even overhanging, so I moved them around to prevent them from getting damaged during play. The green and yellow came right off without leaving any glue residue on the pieces, so they were easy to center properly. The orange and blue left behind a bit of sticky residue, but I simply moved them to where they should be and wiped off any extra glue around the edges with a wet cloth. None of the stickers were damaged during the process and they hold on to the puzzle well even after they've been moved. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this as I have very disturbing memories of trying to remove the fluorescent stickers from a keychain pyraminx once :lol: I suppose you can't do this with the German labels.

There was another little snag, but I got it fixed quickly. One of the third layers (looking from the tip) turned a bit worse than the others. I noticed the yellow center would lift up slightly during the turn. I popped it out (not an easy feat, but you can do it by jamming a flat-head screwdriver under the center; you don't need a lot of force, but you need to align the pieces in just the right way to enable the wings to pop free) and it turned out there was an extra bit of plastic stuck under the screw of the center piece. When the wing of the neighbouring piece passed under it, it would catch and then lift it up to pass. The problem was easily removed by slightly loosening the screw and then tightening it back after the extra bit fell off. It must have gotten in the way of the screw on the assembly line. I don't imagine this would be a very common problem.

Bottomline is, this is a wonderful puzzle and I would recommend you get one if you can still find them somewhere. I can't wait to mix it up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 pm 

Here is my solving video of the Professor Pyraminx. It is the second solve of it on YouTube, but it's the fastest. My review will (hopefully) be up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:29 pm 

Mine finally came in today (Friday, February 25th). I ordered about an hour or so after the newsletter arrived, 12-something am CST, and I am happy to say mine does have the special fluorescent ridged stickers! :mrgreen:
Attachment:
Professor Incandescent Lighting.JPG
Professor Incandescent Lighting.JPG [ 103.3 KiB | Viewed 5468 times ]

Attachment:
Professor Fluorescent Blacklight.JPG
Professor Fluorescent Blacklight.JPG [ 156.02 KiB | Viewed 5468 times ]

My condolences to Volitar Prime, mizzle576, and others who ordered during the hours before me and did not recieve the special stickers. It seems in the early hours following release, that it was a crap-shoot at to who got what. I'm happy with mine, and don't plan on selling or trading it. The stickers all seem to be applied nicely on mine, a little bit straiter than on my Vulcano puzzle. I think the main problem with the Vulcano was difficulty in applying the stickers inside the inverted edges.

Volitar Prime, the stickers on your Professor Pyraminx look awfully bright in the photo you took, but maybe it is just the lighting. The german vinyl has a smooth matt finish, while the classic fluorescent stickers have a ridged surface that shines at certain angles.

If anyone is interested, Cubesmith offers fluorescent stickers in Pink, Orange, Green, and Yellow, and they also have a Bright Blue all of which closely match the colors of the classic Meffert's fluorescent vinyl. I used the Rainbow Cube triangles to sticker my SLS Master Pyraminx from Shapeways. The blue on some of Meffert's older puzzles glowed bluish white under a blacklight, but on the newer stock from the past couple of years, the blue does not fluoresce, but the old and new blues are indistinguishable under standard lighting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:55 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
Volitar Prime, the stickers on your Professor Pyraminx look awfully bright in the photo you took, but maybe it is just the lighting. The german vinyl has a smooth matt finish, while the classic fluorescent stickers have a ridged surface that shines at certain angles.

The brightness is from the camera flash. Mine are definitely the thinner smooth darker color German vinyl.

One of the reasons I want the textured stickers is not just the brighter fluorescent colors but also the grooved texture. Those grooves can actually add to the difficulty in solving the puzzle because they add position and orientation to the center pieces. Essentially applying a "super cube" effect.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:25 am 

My standard disassembly, macro fly over and assembly video is now up- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqBveRuoKHs . These videos always look a bit awkward since I am desperately trying to hold it in the right position for the camera as well as assemble a puzzle I had previously never seen apart before.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:41 am 

:shock: What? No sticky tape! How do you do that????

Thanks for the video Tony. As usual, I learned a thing or two. Like yours is a lot tighter than mine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:53 am 

My heartbeat just had an interruption. I just received a package from mefferts with a teraminx I ordered along with a gigaminx a couple of weeks ago. I got the teraminx and a not that the gig will be shipped later. The problem: I had ordered my prof pyraminx 2 weeds before this one. I got an email from mefferts 2 weeks ago that my prof pyraminx had been shipped (I checked the transaction number) I just yesterday got an email from them telling me another package had been shipped. The transaction number is that of my teraminx I have right in front of me. I don't think it got shipped yesterday but I do know that my prof pyraminx has been on the way for more than a week longer now. Still the tera is here but no prof pyraminx.
I have had it once 6 years ago that I ordered a skewb diamond from mefferts that never came without getting my money back even though I mailed them several times and just got the answer that it is on the way. I'm not saying it wasn't. I am just wondering how important it is to select the 20 bucks insured shipping when ordering stuff from half over the globe.
Because IF my prof pyraminx is lost and will not come I might have to kill myself! :?

EDIT: btw it says 20 bucks on the receipt for the teraminx. ? Yes I did pay the 80 or what it was.
plus: does anyone know where I am supposed to put in that tracking number mefferts sends you in an email?

EDIT2 because I am feel uneasy. Now I managed checking those numbers. The package that I have left HK only 4 days ago, on feb 22nd. The one with the prof pyraminx left 10 days ago. How high is the chance it will still come?

Last edited by alaskajoe on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:55 am 

And here is my review on the Professor Pyraminx. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:33 am 

alaskajoe wrote:
The one with the prof pyraminx left 10 days ago. How high is the chance it will still come?

Very high. China Post and Hong Kong post have huge delays since October or November of last year. Some of my packages took almost 2 months to arrive. That's almost 2 months after the tracking has shown the package has left HK or China. I don't think the tracking is necessarily accurate here and some packages keep lying around the airport even after they've passed through the scanner.

Also, they rarely come in the order they are sent in. Packages can usually take a variety of different routes, depending on days of the week, plane schedules, free cargo space on the planes, etc. I'd say there's no need to panic for at least a month but there's also no way of predicting the arrival dates with the current mess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:26 pm 

alaskajoe wrote:
How high is the chance it will still come?

Yes, pretty high. I send out and receive a huge amount of international mail and it gets delayed by up to 4 weeks on many occasions. The longer delays are usually when things are stopped at customs. It bugs me that you don't get an immediate notification when that happens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:55 pm 

I ordered the Professor Pyraminx a couple days ago from the jade club website, but that same day I looked on mefferts.com and it says it is out of stock. Even now you can still buy them from the jade club, is this just a mistake that uwe has not fixed? Can anyone help me out with this, I am a little confused.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:38 pm 

I really hope jade club still has some, because I ordered one too via that site.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:47 pm 

My puzzle came today. As I suspected, I got the vinyl stickers. I really wanted the fluorescent stickers. I reserved it as VIP jadeclub member when I got the newsletter & I purchased it as soon as it was available. Anyway, the puzzle is good otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:54 pm 

I just picked up mine from the post office this morning and I have to say that I am very impressed. I ordered on January 23rd and was lucky enough to get it with the fluorescent stickers. The turning is very smooth right out of the box and the puzzle can even cut corners a bit. I should be posting a video review very soon.

Chris Hemerich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:33 pm 

Uwe allows JC members to purchase after the general public cannot.

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:02 pm 

I got this from Uwe today-

Hi Tony, it is temporarily sold out, in fact it was over sold during the 10 days lunar New Year break so I will be making a second very limited production run for both the Mosaic cube and the Prof. Pyraminx soon (it is already in the pipeline) we hope to be able to resume shipping by the Middle of March as I am still waiting for some of the material to arrive. Many factory workers are only coming back tomorrow (28th Feb) after their long 1 month Holiday and many are not returning at all make the already acute labour shortage even more acute. Please share this info with the TP forum members.