Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can you ID this cube puzzle?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 2:04 pm 
I don't even remember where I saw the picture. Might be a Fisher cube. It looks to be the size of a 3x3x3, but has been bandaged so that at least the front side only has four sections: 2x2, 1X2, 2X1, and 1x1. What does the rest of it look like? Is it a build-up of a 2x2x2, or can I customize one from a standard cube?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Post subject: OK, what's the back of it like?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 1:52 am 
http://virtualpuzzlemuseum.com/squarepuzzles2of5.htm

Post subject: 2x2 "Special"
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 5:55 am 

Yes, you can indeed customise it from a standard cube, but it's really a pretty forgettable puzzle. Believe it or not, any state on the puzzle can be solved with at most 2 turns (3 if you only count quarter turns). Hendrik Haak has a picture of this puzzle which was modified from a Professor's Cube (why anyone would want to destroy a perfectly good Professor's Cube in this way is beyond me) at http://www.puzzle-shop.de (select "Museum" --> "2x2 Special"). If you'd really like to make one anyway (as a conversation piece, perhaps), it's basically set up like an offset 2x2x2 puzzle, so you'd have a 1x1x1 block, 3 1x1x2 blocks, 3 1x2x2 blocks, and a 2x2x2 block. The 1x1x1 and 2x2x2 blocks are on diametrically opposite corners, the 1x1x2 blocks are lined up against the 1x1x1 block like on the Bandaged Cube, and the 1x2x2 blocks fill in the gaps against the 2x2x2 block. L8r.

Post subject: Re: 2x2x2 special cube
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:55 am 

The one on the link Jason put up looks like it was just made from a 3x3x3. So its not quite the same as butchering a 5x5x5. But I would agree it wouldnt be much fun to play with, although I guess it would be a novelty.

Post subject: Easy is in the eyes of the beholder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:26 am 

Tim,
you wrote
"Yes, you can indeed customize it from a standard cube, but it's really a pretty forgettable puzzle. Believe it or not, any state on the puzzle can be solved with at most 2 turns (3 if you only count quarter turns)"

So, does this imply that a simple puzzle such as the trivial 3-piece magic is worthless. I don't believe that you think that way.