Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: review of dayan V zanchi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 am 

My opinions on the new Dayan V Zanchi.
My first thought when I did my first turn on this cube was: wow this thing needs lube. However within an hour of opening it, it had broken my PB single and average times. That being said let’s get into some details.

Speed and feel

The speed of this cube depends greatly on the tension. Out of the factory the cube is far too tight, but that is not unusual. Once tensioned properly this cube has exceptional speed, but accuracy is not always great. The feel of this cube is quite unusual. It is very clicky, especially at first. I have 45 point edge and V-5 modded it, and that helped some. But the centers have a small angle that causes clicking. I can’t decide if I like it and want to keep it that way, or I hate it and need to fix it. 8.5 Out of 10

corner cutting: backward and forward

The corner cutting on this cube is average compared to the rest of the series of Dayan 3x3s. The limit is almost exactly 45 degrees, however when it does cut it cuts with ease. If it locks up that probably means you have tried to cut too far. Backwards corner-cutting is very good also. It comes close to line to line backwards cutting. Any backward cutting less than half of the center piece is executed with ease.
9 Out of 10

Lock ups and popping

Lock ups mainly occur when your tensions are very loose (overshooting), However the small protrusion on the center piece that causes clicking can also lead to lock ups. Lock ups caused by that protrusion on the center are the most frequent cause of pops. Also the thin stock that leads to the main part of the center piece is very sharply octagonal leading to lockups. 7.5 Out of 10

Quality of production

The cube arrived with a great deal of flash attached to the outside of the cube and to the torpedoes on the inside. It was literally painful to solve it. It was easily removed with a knife though. The stickers that came with this cube appear to be of very good quality, and are larger than the ones that came with my lunhui. (They were itty bitty) also, the center caps sort of come back up a little when you put them on, but I can’t find any flash that could be causing it. 7 Out of 10

Other comments

The reason I wanted this cube was that the lunhui I was using was too springy and tended to explode when you over worked it. It was also very locky. The Zanchi fixed both of these problems for me, and I am very happy with it.

Overall

Overall this cube is great for a new main speed cube, but I would not recommend it for someone who has problems with sides turning that they don’t want to turn at the time. Other than that it is worth every penny. 9 out of 10

Mech pictures

Attachment:
Zi6_9939.JPG
Zi6_9939.JPG [ 613.32 KiB | Viewed 3234 times ]

Something neat about this cube is the way the corners and the edges have places that don’t fit snugly with each other. This leaves a space that is shown in the picture below.
Attachment:
Zi6_9995.JPG
Zi6_9995.JPG [ 643.99 KiB | Viewed 3234 times ]

Attachment:
Zi6_9997.JPG
Zi6_9997.JPG [ 529.99 KiB | Viewed 3234 times ]

Attachment:
Zi6_9998.JPG
Zi6_9998.JPG [ 785.14 KiB | Viewed 3234 times ]

It also comes with this neat little card.

Attachment:
Zi6_9999.JPG
Zi6_9999.JPG [ 781.02 KiB | Viewed 3234 times ]

Please feel free to ask questions.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

Post subject: Re: review of dayan V zanchi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:48 am 

You can remove the flash on the corner where to torpedo's tuch, it really helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:34 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
How much is it, and is it the best speedcube you've ever used?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:55 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
How much is it, and is it the best speedcube you've ever used?

I really like mine, and it's not really crispy, the feeling like the crispyness is like an brand new lubed guhong, so it' still very smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:04 pm 

Nice review, thanks!

Quote:
The corner cutting on this cube is average compared to the rest of the series of Dayan 3x3s. The limit is almost exactly 45 degrees, however when it does cut it cuts with ease.
Won't 45 degrees *always* be the absolute theoretical physical limit for corner cutting? Any further and the force would move the partly turned layer back in the wrong direction, if it doesn't just lock up...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:22 pm 

@Drake: Thanks! that really helped

@GoombaGeek: probably the best cube I have used, and it was something like 20 USD from I cube mart but 2 hours after I ordered it I found it for 14 USD at speedcube shop.

@Kelvin: actually some cubes can cheat a little more than 45 degrees. (ultimate lubix guhong for example)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:29 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Nice review, thanks!

Quote:
The corner cutting on this cube is average compared to the rest of the series of Dayan 3x3s. The limit is almost exactly 45 degrees, however when it does cut it cuts with ease.
Won't 45 degrees *always* be the absolute theoretical physical limit for corner cutting? Any further and the force would move the partly turned layer back in the wrong direction, if it doesn't just lock up...

You need to factor in reverse corner cutting. A 80 degree corner cut would be possible if reverse corner cutting was only 5 degrees. I'd love to see a cube do that :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:38 pm 

I might buy it, but Meffert's brand-new Felix pillowed 3x3x3 might also be a good choice. It costs the same as the Zanchi, and I like the pillowed shape (some people have complained about the pillowing, but I don't know why. it looks nice, it doesn't really detract anything and you can see more colours with it), but apparently it's not as robust. Any recommendations, or is it just personal choice?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:40 pm 

The pillowed shape, allowing you to see more of the cube than you normally would might make it illegal for use in WCA competitions. Meffert also states it was not developed for speedcubing so that probably means it doesn't turn as good as some of the high-end speedcubes.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:17 pm 

Hmm on icuvemart it's 16$? plus shipping, not 20$ :oops: .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
but apparently it's not as robust.

Since Adam (I think) Feliks, Calvin and myself are the only ones with this cube at the moment, I'm not sure how you can state that. I've said it before, be sure of what you say before saying it. A comment like this could hurt sales before they even begin. There have been no reviews made for this puzzle yet simply because I have no time, and no one has one. Hold your horses before making a broad statement like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:49 am 

If the tensions were tighter, would the turning accuracy improve? Would doing this also affect corner cutting, reverse corner cutting, and speed?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am 

@drake: the shipping for me was about $4. $16+$4=$20. however I don't know what shipping is from peed cube shop, so it actually would cost a little more than 14$ from their site.

@zeotor: Yes the accuracy is a lot better if you tighten it. The corner cutting is affected a little bit but it can still cut almost 45 degrees.

@goomba geek: Even if the meffert's 3x3 "is not as robust" almost any cube can be made decent through lubrication, tension adjustment, and breaking in. Your cube choice is up to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 pm 

It can cut a littlw more if you remove the torpedo's, but if your tension are loose, don't remove them, cause the cube will pop, mine as an good tension and don't pop with out them. The corner cutting is affected by the torpedo's because that the corner base is "unstatle", (the base don't clip), so it's more sqwishy, so the anchors sommetimes, touch the corner base, what's then creat a lock up, that block like 10% of the corner cutting, but not evrytime, depends of the sides, and evrything. You just see an small diffrence when solving, but if you try to corner cut just randomly,somme times, you can see the diffrence.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 pm 

katsmom wrote:
GoombaGeek wrote:
but apparently it's not as robust.

Since Adam (I think) Feliks, Calvin and myself are the only ones with this cube at the moment, I'm not sure how you can state that. I've said it before, be sure of what you say before saying it. A comment like this could hurt sales before they even begin. There have been no reviews made for this puzzle yet simply because I have no time, and no one has one. Hold your horses before making a broad statement like that.

The product page says "not for speedcubing"...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:50 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
The product page says "not for speedcubing"...

Robust means an object that is sturdy. I think this is entirely different from being able to use it for speed cubing. Like I said before, watch what you write, think a bit first. Don't make assumptions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 am 

I don't necessarily think a cube should cut over 45 degrees cuz once you get over 45, that's a reverse cut, and that detracts from it's reverse cutting abilities. I'd rather have a cube that cut 40 and reverse cut 30 rather than a cube that cuts 50 and reverse cuts 20.

10*0=0
0/10=0
0/0=10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:47 am 

SamBegley wrote:
I don't necessarily think a cube should cut over 45 degrees cuz once you get over 45, that's a reverse cut, and that detracts from it's reverse cutting abilities.

The thing is with the right tension it can cut 45 yeah, but it just cut over just of an bit, it can just play around 45, not over.