Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The new Rubik's Revenge (opinions?)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 1999 8:59 am 

It's good that the Revenge is back, but in some ways I feel a little cheated, that after numerous complaints to Oddzon by the puzzling community regarding their terrible stickers, they then release a much waited product, with the same stickers.

I asked a representitive from rubiks.com... Can you please tell me what the quality of stickers are like on the new 4x4x4? Are they the same type that have been sold on the 3x3x3s for some time now?

The answer was that "The new Rubik's Revenge is the same quality as the Rubik's Cube (it is only a test run)".

That does indicate the stickers to be of the same make. Perhaps after the run of 250, Oddzon will adopt the approach that Uwe Meffert has... tough plastic stickers.

Enough company bashing. I do appreciate the risk of their release. I will most likely order one for the sake of being in the first 250. Could be a collectors item?....

Post subject: I just can't buy one
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 1999 4:29 pm 

I have the luxury of already owning a "Revenge" but I really would like a new one. I just can't bring myself to buy the Rubik's version. I am dissappointed really. Being a huge fan of all things Rubik I have pratically begged them for a few years to remanufacture this cube and now I won't buy it. Meffert's "seems" to have a better product. The Meffert's products I do have are very well made. I think they will be providing my next "Revenge" or "Master's Cube" as Uwe wants to call it. Is anyone at Rubik's paying attention?

Sorry Wayne, I know this area is for trade. Just responding to your message.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 1999 4:29 pm 

Yeah, I agree. Meffert seems to be going to great lengths to make sure he does it right.

By the way, this are can be used for any discussion, not just for trade.

Speaking of which, now that I have moved, I'd better get back onto a run of Siamese and bandaged cubes.

Post subject: Revenge
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 1999 5:57 am 
I just made a siamese out of two new rubik's cubes about three weeks ago. After about four days screwing around with it and working out solutions in different orders I was already starting to loose stickers all over. I've shelved it and sworn not to buy any more rubik's products until/unless they decide to fix those terrible stickers, so I'll be waiting for Meffert's 4X4X4's. Meffert's really seems to be interested in quality rather than volume.

Post subject: Cube Stickers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 1999 5:57 am 

I have been hearing the complaining for a long time about Rubik's stickers. It is justified, they are terrible. I am just wondering why we give up on our toys so easily.
I work in the vehicle graphics and pinstriping business and the material (vinyl) that we use to "letter" and pinstripe vehicles is perfect for your favorite cube. It comes in various widths, so just pick up about 6 inches of each color (more than enough), cut the squares, and you have permanent stickers for a small price. Ask for 5/8" pinstripe for a 3x3x3 cube, pick your color and it's that easy.
Oh, by the way - pinstripe also has a clear plastic sheeting over top of it, just peel it off after applying the stickers and that should be the end of your sticker problems.

Post subject: Hooray for tiles!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 1999 6:39 am 
I've just ordered a Revenge from Meffert's (along with a couple of other puzzles) and I'm looking forward to having tiles instead of stickers. Stickers have always been a problem on cubes. Every cube type puzzle I've ever owned, except for my first pyramid, had stickers that wouldn't stay on. I have one of the deluxe cubes from the 80s with tiles and have always wished that all cubes had them. If the revenge is well done I'm going to reorder a professor (I have 2 now, one from Meffert's and ond from Bandelow, both with stickers that come off!)