Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Input on Going to Competition
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:51 pm 

Hello Forum,

Most of you probably don't see much on the forum but I mainly read a lot and comment very little. Only on certain things.

For quite some time I have wanted to compete in a competition. Now I am a pretty slow solver in my opinion mainly because I am happy just being able to solve the 3x3 along with all my various other puzzles. I average around 40 seconds on the 3x3 which is pretty slow compared to most speedsolvers. I have stayed away from competing mainly because I feel I am so slow :oops: But as most of you know there is an upcoming competition at the Mega Mall in Minneapolis next month, and that is about as close as competitions get to me since I live in Iowa. I would love to go and compete, but overall I really just want to meet some fellow cubers! So, I guess what I am trying to get at is... Should I go and compete as well and meet new people or just go and watch and not compete?

Keaton

Post subject: Re: Input on Going to Competition
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 pm 

In a competition, if you compete in every single event, you'll still have plenty of time to socialize with other cubers. At the Mall of America competition, you can expect quite a few people (especially forum members) to show up. Competitions, despite the name, are very friendly places and I recommend you attend regardless of your speed. You are right, you won't be winning prizes with times like that, but it's still fun nonetheless.

It's good to compete even if you aren't good because then you get practice solving under pressure.

I completely understand what you mean about not many competitions. I've personally been to 1 and there have been only 3 in my state during the entire time of me being into Cubing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:11 pm 

I would highly recommend going. I have only been to one competition (nationals 2010) and It was one of the highlights of my puzzling experience. I didn't compete, but I still had a blast. All the people I met were very friendly, and we had some very stimulating discussions.

Starting a thread on the forum asking people who will be there is a good way to get to know people before the event actually happens.

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 am 

I'd recommend going along and competing just to have fun.

We usually have the same competitors finishing top 3 in competitions in Australia. Imagine solving a Rubik's Cube at a competition while the person next to you gets a 9 second solve and everyone in the room is stunned at how slow it was.

Competitions are usually pretty laid back from a competitor point of view. People make new friends and tend to be more competitive with others that are about as fast as they are. You can easily practice with other competitors that take around the same time by scrambling each others puzzles and then passing them back to be solved in 40 or so seconds. This doesn't work well when someone takes 10 seconds, another 25 seconds, and another 3 minutes.

If anything, you'll overcome any fear of competing by joining in and will probably learn a few things about becoming faster. Since holding weekly meetups I've seen a lot of people improve with their time. Some have taken 2 minutes for the past 3 years but now take 50 seconds. :-)

Tim.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 am 

thanks for the input everybody! I know it seemed like a pretty dumb question but your inputs have really helped out. I'll start a thread and see who all is going to go to the competition.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 pm 

I would go and compete. While 40 seconds isn't going to win, competing will give you a baseline that you can judge against yourself for future competitions (and it's different than taking an average at home, because you have limited opportunities). While MOA might be different from other competitions, I think it's going to be great fun. But you can establish a PR (personal record) there, and then see if you can improve on it for the Iowa competition and the Minnesota competition in the summer in Rochester.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm 

New V Cubes.

Go.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm 

I've been wanting to go to a competition for a while, but I live in Wisconsin, and my parents won't fly, so it's have to be local for me to go. :(

The interesting thing: the first and [currently] only comp in Wisconsin ever was the open 2008, way before i ever got into cubing. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:59 pm 

jerry533482 wrote:
I've been wanting to go to a competition for a while, but I live in Wisconsin, and my parents won't fly, so it's have to be local for me to go. :(

The interesting thing: the first and [currently] only comp in Wisconsin ever was the open 2008, way before i ever got into cubing. :roll:

Huh? You can drive from Wisconsin to Minnesota. And there's comps in Chicago.