Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is Serious Puzzle-Collecting Gender-Related?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:06 pm 

Colleen indicated that female puzzle-collectors might not be taken seriously. Could this be true?

I have been thinking about this for a while. What are the essential characteristics of a serious puzzle collector? Here is an humble start:

passionate about geometric shapes
fascinated by mechanisms
enjoys color
likes challenge

I'm not sure any of these traits are gender-related.

The group I work with is composed of a large number of highly educated technical men. On occasion I have taken some puzzles in to work to show them off. The response has been polite, but lukewarm interest. It was very surprising that none of these guys could see how terrifically fantastic these little objects are!

No, serious puzzle collecting is a highly specialized interest. It is certainly not gender-bound. Whether a collector is taken seriously is probably more about how much money the collector is willing to spend. It would be interesting to hear some other opinions.

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:06 pm 

I am studying maths at Sydney uni, so I also have a lot of highly educated technical men and women around me most of the time. In fact my thesis supervisor is Don Taylor (some may know he wrote a very popular book on how to solve the rubiks cube). A lot of my friends there like the puzzles I am forever bringing in and showing them. Some of the dont. I think the girls I know are more interested in general than the guys. I dont know if this is a trend anyone else has noticed (?)
My girlfriend likes them (up to a certain extent - she is very patient :) ) and even has her own cube with Winnie the Pooh on it.
Actually one day on the train on the way to uni, I was bored and when I remembered I had a megaminx in my bag I took it out and started playing with it. Instantly the girl who was sitting next to me grabbed it off me and started playing with it and talking about it. She couldnt believe it. Yet most of my male friends (outside university circles) responded like yours, Carter. Polite (sometimes...) but fairly disinterested. Yet this female perfect stranger was very keen.

Just thought Id share that funny story... So guys if youre looking for that special someone... hmm maybe

Post subject: Do men get more respect when buying puzzles?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:23 pm 
From my own experience, I feel that men receive more respect when purchasing puzzles from other countries. During this past year, I have sent several emails to Mr. Meffert inquiring about certain puzzles. I had used my husband's email account but signed the message with my own name. When Mr. Meffert replied to my emails, he directed his answers to my husband. Perhaps it was just an oversight on his part. After awhile, I decided to sign my email messages with my husband's name. On a side note...when I received my packages from Mefferts, the packages were addressed "Mr. Colleen ...."
Thanks for your insight :)

Post subject: Gender puzzlism
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:49 am 

I don't think I can ever recall a gender division regarding puzzles. I really don't think people care one way or the other. Remember Chris and Kori's cubes?

My "supplier" is a female.

Like, James, doing puzzles on the train has generated discussion from females, not so much males.

Interestingly, whenever a female friend drops by, the puzzle that most often first grabs their attention is the Rainbow masterball. I think it's the colours.

Post subject: Meffert's and gender problems.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 3:48 am 

Colleen, I live here in Hong Kong and have visited Mefferts showroom many times. I would like to assure you that I have recieved nothing but respect from them. However, I am still called MR. Wong. Even after 3 years of seeing my face and long blonde hair. I think it is an honest mistake made by their employees. (I've never had Mrs. Meffert make that mistake).

On another note, I also find their service to be excellent. They are also quick to deal with problems and any thing that comes up. I would recomend their services to anyone who asks.

Roxanne

Post subject: Mr. Colleen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:48 am 

Keep in mind also that "Colleen" probably isn't a common name in Hong Kong. He may not even understand that it is a typically a woman's name.