Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fully Functional verse Added Functionality
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:42 pm 

FF Siamese cubes for example. Tony Fisher has stated it is added functionality because Siamese cubes are already fully functional. So is he right?

A 3x3x5 cuboid can be ff and shapeshift or not be ff and keep its shape. We could think of it as bandaged because rotations are blocked even when cuts are aligned. So let's ignore mechanisms and cut puzzles with planes. The 3x3x5 would have no parts blocking it from shapeshifting so I'd consider that ff. A Siamese cube again just cut into 51 cubes has no parts stopping it from ff rotations so again I'd say normal Siamese cubes are bandaged and ff ones actually are ff.

However what about stored cuts? If we think of Siamese cubes as having them then normal ones are ff.

And what about having multiple origins? By making a Siamese cube turn the extra way we add a third origin. This again supports normal Siamese cubes being ff.

So which one is it? The term Fully Functional is added to a lot of puzzles these days but should Added Functionality be used instead?

Post subject: Re: Fully Functional verse Added Functionality
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:39 pm 

I would consider added functionality to be an addition to a puzzle that is not immediately obvious, such as Smaz's 3x3x2, or puzzles with stored cuts and/or jumbling.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:38 am 

When someone creates a new puzzle or variation and gives it a name it becomes a new entity. That is why it is listed separately in the puzzle museum, people's website etc. So however it moves it must by definition be fully functional. It's like saying a 3 wheel car is missing a wheel otherwise. Or in puzzle terms the Bandaged Cube is not fully functional. As a puzzle creator I find it somewhat offensive when someone states any of my puzzles aren't fully functional. The Siamese Cubes move as I made them and could only not be fully functional if I made another one that moved less than the original but I still called it Siamese Cubes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:54 am 

I somewhat agree with you Tony. But lets say someone makes a big chop restricted to non jumbling turns but still calls it the "Big Chop". When a person down the road makes a jumbling big chop would you agree it could be called a fully functional big chop?

So I guess if the original puzzle concept had turns that got removed when making prototypes it would be ok to make a ff version of it and add back those cuts.

But then if Fully Functional Siamese cubes actually aren't, what are they? Added functionality is way too generic to describe adding these cuts that feel like natural extensions. So instead of FF Siamese cubes, what should they be called?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 pm 

Yes, it's down to the original puzzle and original name. Naturally there are grey areas but in most cases that should be the case. I think the term "fully functional" pretty much started when people were glueing cubes onto 3x3x3s and selling them as 3x3x5s. A distinction had to made between these and the ones that turn on all five layers. The extended ones were considered a bit of a rip off since often the seller didn't say the extensions did not move. So "not fully functional" has become quite a negative term and in my opinion over used.
You may expect Oskar's excellent Proportional Oh to move like a Rubik's Cube yet no one surely would call it not fully functional. When I first saw the Rubik's Cube I assumed you could mix all pieces fully not realising there are three types which can never interchange. At that time I may have cried "not fully functional" purely because I did not understand the puzzle. These misunderstandings are reflected in YouTube comments where most people are less knowledgeable than they are here.
I don't especially think that "added functionality" is a great term when introducing new movement but it's all I could think of at the time.