Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jade Club news?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:02 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
monker59 wrote:
Could you post a video of them?

What, his underpants? :shock:

I refuse to dignify that with a response. (except of course for this response)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:27 pm 

am I the only one who find these puzzles horribly ugly?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:54 pm 

Sometimes the hype and anticipation can really bite you in the butt... All I'm going to say.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:30 am 

cisco wrote:
am I the only one who find these puzzles horribly ugly?
Is your verdict based on the pictures or have you got the physical puzzles?
Here are mine (have arrived yesterday):

"Ugly" seems really harsh. There’s no accounting for taste. Originally the old Romans said: De gustibus non est disputandum.

What is the purpose anyway, that you are telling us your taste? That your taste is superior? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:37 am 

i like the 3x3...

This phrase is famously misquoted in Act I of Anton Chekhov's play The Seagull. The character Shamrayev conflates it with the phrase de mortuis nil nisi bonum (in the alternate form: de mortuis, aut bene aut nihil – "of the dead, either [speak] good or [say] nothing"), resulting in "de gustibus aut bene, aut nihil", "Let nothing be said of taste but what is good

just thought i would add that...(makes me look cleverer a little)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm 

I just got my jade puzzles today. Although I was taken aback by one detail that no one has mentioned yet.

The 3x3 is awfully small. I kind of expected something a little bit more like the size of my c4y 3x3, if not a little bit bigger. Also, does anyone know how were supposed to utilize the RFID chips in the puzzles or how we are supposed to look up our puzzles when we're logged into Jadeclub.org?

Anyways, I really am glad that the puzzles arrived finally.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:10 am 

konsassen wrote:
What is the purpose anyway, that you are telling us your taste? That your taste is superior? :wink:

I don't see any problem with someone sharing his opinions in a forum, do you? I was only wondering if I am the only one who is dissapointed by the puzles after so much waiting. I am. But it is, obviously, my personal opinion, I'm sorry if it hurt you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:37 am 

A recent Jade Club email said that it is possible to use a 'forgot my password' option, and that "This feature will be available within the next 48 hours". Should I just count this as another missed deadline or am I seriously missing something?

More importantly, is there a deadline to ordering these puzzles? At least the white ones? I'd understand if I should have ordered the cool-looking ones months ago, but I don't want to miss the whole deal altogether since I did in fact get VIP invitation and registration

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:46 am 

Well, if you haven't paid for the VIP painted ones by tomorrow......I won't say I told you so... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:30 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
A recent Jade Club email said that it is possible to use a 'forgot my password' option, and that "This feature will be available within the next 48 hours". Should I just count this as another missed deadline or am I seriously missing something?
I have just tested the function (it is called "Forget Password"; small language problem.) on the "Login" page. I have received the correct password via email, but my Spam-filter considered it Spam.
No, I have not forgotten my password. It was just a test for you. :)
You will need the email address, though, with which you had made the registration.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 pm 

Some say that these jade puzzles are ugly. I beg to differ. And here is a story that supports my claim.

My wife has been wracking her brains out trying to figure out what to buy me for Christmas. She's missed the Santa sleigh and was trying to make it up. Also, she is almost painfully aware of my interest in puzzles. Once we get the jade puzzles in the mail (after Christmas) and she sees them, she turns green with frustration and says to me:
"How can I ever get you an interesting puzzle, when you know where to find such beautiful ones?"
Meanwhile, my daughter thought the jade puzzles were jewelry.

So there!
I for one was surprised on the size of the cube, but am very happy with them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:31 pm 

When I ordered, the PayPal account that paid has settings for a different address than my account information has. Do you think it's going to be shipped to the account information or the PayPal? The Jade Club account has the correct information.

The strange things that can happen when you don't pay attention...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:45 am 

Rentlix wrote:
When I ordered, the PayPal account that paid has settings for a different address than my account information has. Do you think it's going to be shipped to the account information or the PayPal? The Jade Club account has the correct information.

The strange things that can happen when you don't pay attention...
Uwe has sent a message
Quote:
We have started to ship both the Jade-Pyraminx and Jade-Cube, to all of you who had recently updated their mailing address.

As these are very special and valuable puzzles with a unique RFID which cannot be duplicated, I do not want a single piece to go astray.
So please help me in this endeavor and send me your present mailing address again even if it is the same as last time and please make sure that your State, Zip code and Country name are included in the address. Your puzzles will be shipped directly from Hong Kong to you by Registered Airmail.
You should send your correct address to Uwe (@ his jadeclub address). That should make it clear in any case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:53 am 

macracan wrote:
Some say that these jade puzzles are ugly. I beg to differ. And here is a story that supports my claim. ...
So far, I have read "ugly" in one post only. :wink:
I had expected the Cube a bit larger, too. After a while, I got used to the smaller size and like both puzzles. :D The Pyraminx has a very nice size that I like better than the original Jing's Pyraminx.
Still, nobody seems to know what the RFID is about?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:29 pm 

My puzzles finally came and look great. the cube is a little smaller than I imagined but is still one of the better puzzles I have. after waiting for about 8 months, and was surprised at how fast it was sent after completion. :D

The difference between knowledge and wisdom is humility.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:18 pm 

Yeah, I just got both of mine tonight too. Those things are tiny!!!!!! They look awesome though, really attractive puzzles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:59 am 

If I signed up for a VIP+ or whatever is called (45$) account, should I receive these puzzles without paying anything else? Cause I didn't receive anything to this day and the Jade contact didn't reply.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:03 am 

pablobaluba wrote:
If I signed up for a VIP+ or whatever is called (45$) account, should I receive these puzzles without paying anything else? Cause I didn't receive anything to this day and the Jade contact didn't reply.
Yes, you will get the 2 puzzles without further payment. You should confirm your address in an email to Uwe (at jadeclub.org) with the subject "Address".
Uwe wrote:
According to my staff we are still missing 10 confirmed mailing addresses for sending out your two Jade puzzle, we have been experiencing a very spam attack over the holidays so even if you have confirmed your address to us please do so again just in case your email is buried under a tonne of spam.
You should use the email account that you have used for the Jade registration.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:43 am 

konsassen wrote:
pablobaluba wrote:
Yes, you will get the 2 puzzles without further payment. You should confirm your address in an email to Uwe (at jadeclub.org) with the subject "Address"..

Perhaps that is why I haven't received mine. I have updated it on the Jade Club site, but do I still have to email? :?

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 pm 

APJ wrote:
konsassen wrote:
pablobaluba wrote:
Yes, you will get the 2 puzzles without further payment. You should confirm your address in an email to Uwe (at jadeclub.org) with the subject "Address"..

Perhaps that is why I haven't received mine. I have updated it on the Jade Club site, but do I still have to email? :?

Alex
Uwe's emails say so. :) There is no harm in sending this little email, right? I have done it and my address has never changed. My puzzles have arrived a few days later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:25 am 

Glad to see that the Jade puzzles finally came through. Just a couple of questions for those who had the patience to wait the full year:

1. Did anyone try disassembling the puzzle to see how the RFID chip is incorporated into the puzzle mechanism? I was also quite surprised by the small size of the puzzle, so I wonder how the chip could fit...
2. Did anyone manage to get any signal or connectivity with the RFID chip?
3. Did any VIP members receive the book and all the other special benefits that were promised as part of the deal?

Thanks for letting me know and Happy Puzzling. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 am 

still waiting on my puzzles here :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:13 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
1. Did anyone try disassembling the puzzle to see how the RFID chip is incorporated into the puzzle mechanism? I was also quite surprised by the small size of the puzzle, so I wonder how the chip could fit...
2. Did anyone manage to get any signal or connectivity with the RFID chip?
3. Did any VIP members receive the book and all the other special benefits that were promised as part of the deal?

I took apart the cube and it looks like the RFID is in the center cap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:23 pm 

They are in the center caps. They are about the size of the tip of my small finger.
You need a reader to read the number.

As for the Jade club book-it's still being written I've been told. I don't know about any of you, but I've done a lot of writing, and it isn't something that happens over night. When it comes it comes. I don't think it was stated that this will be delivered at any specific date.

The other special benefits-well yes, 10 % off puzzles, the ability to pre-order and NOT loose out on a puzzle. Oh yes, and an email coming soon telling of the release of a few more newish puzzles that many have asked about. The benefit? 10% off and guaranteed stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:57 pm 

hikeeba wrote:
I took apart the cube and it looks like the RFID is in the center cap.
I should have thought that's where it would be, but for some reason I was thinking it would be inside one of the corner cubies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:49 pm 

Disjunto wrote:

Me too, maybe it's just the UK post. :?

Reader? We need to buy something else to record whatever it is the chip does? Where do you buy the readers? I've got a feeling that mine will end up just being a nice, pretty (and quite expensive :?) puzzle.

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:51 pm 

Oh come on! We now have to buy something else to make the chip work!? Whatever the chip does, I really don't care. All I'm interested in is some pretty cool looking puzzles. There's no need to over complicate things.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 pm 

we know nothing yet, please dont just in to conclusions.

All you have to do is wait and see what Uwe says.

Sharon

The puzzles on the picture are not for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:31 pm 

APJ wrote:
Disjunto wrote:

Me too, maybe it's just the UK post. :?

Reader? We need to buy something else to record whatever it is the chip does? Where do you buy the readers? I've got a feeling that mine will end up just being a nice, pretty (and quite expensive :?) puzzle.

Alex

Probably, UK post is rubbish.

I've got an RFID reader available to use for the next few days, hopefully the puzzles arrive soon :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:02 pm 

Regarding making the RFID "work":

It works in that it exists and one can presume any non-defective part can be read by a reader. Being able to read it with a reader isn't inherently valuable, it is just a serial number that comes printed on a slip of paper with the puzzles.
I don't really know what people expected of it, but it seems to fulfill my expectations (which are basically none...). I can't really say I know what it is for (maybe I need to re-visit the Jade Club site) but can think of some uses in identifying puzzles at competitions or perhaps, more likely, ensuring it can not fall victim to a KO copy: All the IDs are known by Meffert. I suppose owning a reader would allow you to verify authenticity. For now, I don't think this much of a worry.

As for complaints, let's try to all slow down and keep this forum friendly. I think it is fine to voice your views as many have, but at a certain point we've heard it all before. Meffert was later than his predictions, but I don't see that anyone was swindled and I think the result (based on the prototype I played with at IPP30 and the pictures of the painted versions) quite worth it. I am sure this will not change when I receive mine (yes, I am waiting as well, but perhaps a bit more patiently).

I have done some editing of messages that were better off sent as PMs. Please (all of us) use a bit more restraint.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:23 pm 

My vip painted cubes came in today. I think the puzzles are beautiful. Very well made!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:24 pm 

I agree with Dave that the RFID thing really isn't anything more than a fancy serial number system. These are somewhat rare and collectible puzzles. I have some other high end and collectible puzzles which have unique serial numbers (Isis and Revomaze puzzles for example). Considering these are plastic instead of metal like those other puzzles stamping a number into them doesn't make much sense so Meffert's went with these RFID chips. Now we all have unique serial numbers for our puzzles which we can register.

I'm pretty sure it has been known right from the beginning that Meffert's was going to offer the equipment to read the RFIDs at some point. I think it was even brought up again in a more recent Jade Club newsletter including a target time frame and price. But this isn't something that most people would even be interested in. It is just nice that the equipment will be available.

An odd thing is that my cube came with two numbers, one on each side of the paper. I don't know which one is correct. But it doesn't bother me enough to spend the $120 or so it will cost for the reader.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:50 pm 

The thing about the reader is that no one is making you buy them. If you don't want to spend your money on one, it seems useless to complain.

I finally figured out the problem with my shipping address! I didn't have the house number, just the street, city, etc. Glad that was taken care of. I didn't see a spot on the member data page that asked for it so naturally I just didn't put it.

Anyone know how to change the password? I tried exactly what it says, but it just says "ERROR: Input Correct Data". Are there any unsaid rules?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:46 pm 

O.K so is it V.I.P, location, or first come first serve, when it comes to getting the cubes? I live in NY and a lot of members that got the cubes were from different places, but were V.I.P.

Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:59 am 

I have a question, did anyone get the small booklet that was suppose to come with the vip membership? I didn't get mine and I am a VIP member. I will say again though, theses puzzles are beautiful. A must have for ANY collector.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 am 

I just got these puzzles today. It felt like Christmas! (today would be the 13th day of Christmas)
I love thee puzzles! I agree a statement that Rox made; it feels like my fingertips are being massaged while I solve these puzzles.
I also like the size; a smaller Jings pyraminx, a smaller pillowed 3x3.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 am 

@Mizzle567 I'm sure that was just answered by Katsmom.

katsmom wrote:
As for the Jade club book-it's still being written I've been told. I don't know about any of you, but I've done a lot of writing, and it isn't something that happens over night. When it comes it comes. I don't think it was stated that this will be delivered at any specific date.

@Mizmelysaladi I doubt it's by location. I think it's just in order of who paid and verified their shipping address.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:01 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
I finally figured out the problem with my shipping address! I didn't have the house number, just the street, city, etc. Glad that was taken care of. I didn't see a spot on the member data page that asked for it so naturally I just didn't put it.

Funny...I ordered a Morphegg from the Meffert's website and got a email saying that they didn't have my address. All They Had was my name and city/state/zip. I didn't think to email the Jade Club till just now with my full addy.

Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:59 am 

I received mine yesterday, and they're very nice. I especially like the mini Jing's Pyraminx - it is good to finally have a Reuleaux Halpern-Meier tetrahedron in this handy size.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:31 pm 

I just received mine today and I have to say they are really gorgeous puzzles. They are some of the nicest puzzles I own. I quite like the size of them as well.

Chris Hemerich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:59 pm 

Got mine today.

Really awesome, beautiful and unique.
VERY well constructed and finished.

Paulo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:13 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAXQZPpKaAk&feature=sub

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Question, are there any disassembled pictures floating around anywhere? Although I personally find the Jade puzzles a bit.. eh... garish, I'm intrigued by the mini Jing's pyraminx. Could perhaps it be applied to a non-jade puzzle, so we can have a comfortably small, or even non-pillowed, HM pyramid?

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:39 pm 

Monopoly wrote:
Question, are there any disassembled pictures floating around anywhere? Although I personally find the Jade puzzles a bit.. eh... garish, I'm intrigued by the mini Jing's pyraminx. Could perhaps it be applied to a non-jade puzzle, so we can have a comfortably small, or even non-pillowed, HM pyramid?

I can only promise you that the puzzles are nothing near garish! They are beautiful!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:15 am 

IDK why "ugly" and "garish" should be avoided because they are a matter of taste but it's fine to say "beautiful", "gorgeous", "piece of art" and the like as if it was an objetive point of view.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:26 am 

cisco wrote:
IDK why "ugly" and "garish" should be avoided because they are a matter of taste but it's fine to say "beautiful", "gorgeous", "piece of art" and the like as if it was an objetive point of view.
Maybe, the reason is that this is a nice and friendly forum? It is well accepted by civilized persons to say nice words about something (usually called a compliment), even knowing that it is a matter of taste and it is not an objective statement. On the other hand, somebody may feel offended if you say "You look really awful this morning, Mrs. Robinson". :lol: :lol: Even if you feel that it is the complete truth and it is your business expressing your taste.
Having said that: Personally I like the puzzles very much. :D The patterns are nice. The size of the Jing's Pyraminx is perfect, suits me better than the original. The colours are very well chosen to emphasize the character of a jewel.
The size of the cube was a bit unexpected small at the beginning. Now, I find it nice as well.

What is "objective", anyway? Usually something that it is accepted and similarly seen by a large majority.
In this sense, "ugly" and "garish" are words used by a small minority, describing these puzzles (and words, rarely used in human conversations as well :) )

Last edited by Konrad on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 am 

I got mine's today. They are nice! I am pleased. They are not spectacular and could have been bigger.

My opinion, is that they are not worth over 45$ as Mefferts was claiming before doing them...that they cost to produce them more than the membership. But I wasn't expecting either this to be true, so I am not disappointed. Of course, some will jump and say that I don't know what I'm talking about etc. etc....still consider this bedtime stories.

Regarding the RFID...I'm totally confused what's all about and what's the purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 am 

pablobaluba wrote:
Regarding the RFID...I'm totally confused what's all about and what's the purpose.
I think I understand now that this is nothing more than a fancy electronic serial code so that you can tell your own personal jade puzzle apart from all the others out there, for example if you accidentally misplace it at some event ... but you can only take advantage of this benefit if you invest in a chip reader. Probably it would be a lot easier and cheaper just to write your initials on it, assuming anyone is really worried about this potential issue.

Alternatively, I suppose it could be used to verify its authenticity as an original Jade puzzle, in case you wanted to flog it on eBay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm 

Check you email jade members, a special puzzle is now available for purchase.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 pm 

mizzle576 wrote:
Check you email jade members, a special puzzle is now available for purchase.

Chris

I already ordered mine :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next