Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Directory of Puzzle Collectors and Puzzle Sellers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:09 am 

This message is on behalf of Jerry Slocum, who is probably the world's most well-known puzzle collector and who has one on the largest and finest puzzle collections in the world.

Every 3 years Jerry is issuing a so-called "Directory of Puzzle Collectors and Puzzle Sellers".
The latest issue was of 2000 and Jerry and his team are now preparing for an update that should appear in May 2003.

The Directory contains a listing of about 500 puzzle collectors, many mail order sellers and also many retail stores that sell puzzles (by the way this is about "all kinds of puzzles", "twisty" puzzles as well as many other types of puzzles).

I have samples of the latest two versions of the Directory and can only say that being listed and having the list of so many other collectors has greatly increased the number of people I now know personally in the puzzle world (as well as largely expanded my personal collection).
In other words, I believe that for all "serious" puzzle collectors it is very interesting to become listed in this Directory.

Becoming listed is free (no charge) for puzzle collectors, mail order sellers and retail stores.
The easiest way to become listed is to fill out + send the Directory Questionnaire on the Puzzle World website at:
http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzleWorld/j ... nnaire.htm

Being listed does not automatically mean that you obtain a sample of the Directory. In other words you may become listed without buying a sample of the Directory.
The costs for obtaining a sample of the 2003 Directory are USD 12 + shipping costs.
The shipping costs e.g. are USD 3 for within the USA and USD 6 for outside the USA (surface mail).

Upon becoming listed please don't forget to e-mail a portrait photo of yourself + please don't forget to send all names and addresses of retail stores and puzzle mail order companies you know.
Most of all, please send in the Directory Questionnaire before March 31 in case you want to become listed in the May2003 issue of the Directory.

Geert Hellings.

Post subject: Re: Directory of Puzzle Collectors and Puzzle Sellers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:27 am 

Thanks Geert, any idea how many Rubik's Type puzzle collectors are listed?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:34 pm 

It is difficult to tell how many of the people that are listed in the Directory are into collecting Rubik's type puzzles since these puzzles fall into the overall category of "sequential movement" puzzles which are not exclusively "Rubik's" type puzzles.
Nevertheless, certainly more than 50% is listing to be interested in "sequential movement" puzzles and judging from various comments added by the collectors I would say that some 50 or so especially mention to be interested in "rotational" puzzles.
Since not everybody is adding such "special comments", the actual number of collectors with a special interest in twisty puzzles is probably even higher (100 or so?)

Geert.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:35 am 

I got my start into seriously collecting puzzles because of Jerry Slocum and a letter I wrote to him back in 1991.

I scanned an article from the Los Angeles Times newspaper magazine from just over a year ago about Jerry Slocum.

Picture of Jerry Slocum and his puzzles.

Article text.

Close-up of twisty puzzles behind his left shoulder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:37 am 

Greenhill's Dodecahedron on the bottom shelf there, but what's the one on the top left? Could be an extended puzzle of some sort, I guess.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:40 am 

Oops. Wrong about the Dodecahedron. Where have I seen that puzzle before?

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:19 am 

That is Fisher's cube on the bottom. It is on your website I think, or was that in Wayne's wanted page?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:47 am 

I believe the bottom one is the "Dodecahedron from 333" (probably made by Tony Fisher) and the top one is a puzzle that Hendrik Haak calls "Logi VIP" (see section on sliding tile puzzles at Hendrik's website).

Geert.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:47 am 

I should have been more clear, that is what I meant. A Fisher creation would have been better, not a "Fisher's Cube" that one typically thinks of.