Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Laid off! Why still build??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 am 

Wow, Its really sad to hear that you guys got laid off. I'm especially surprised that Andrew got laid off. I really feel sorry for you guys. But I got a question, why do you guys that make puzzles work for Bedardpuzzles.com, continue puzzle building? Because like Resin,mould, and all these other materials you need are a very hefty price. And well if you guys got laid off, wouldn't it be better to save the money than use it?

Sorry if this question Pisses anyone off, but i'm just curious.

Post subject: Re: Laid off! Why still build??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:11 am 

While the question I suppose is valid, the inclusion of bedardpuzzles.com is not. There are currently only 3 builders who are selling something there (despite that there are 7 seller accounts). (note: This was not meant to imply anything towards bedardpuzzles.com or Scott Bedard. In fact, I am currently on a couple waiting lists there.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:52 am 

Why continue buying expensive building materials? Because aside from the investment of Time, the materials themselves are completely paid off when Scott builds one of his master octahedron, for example. At the very least the hobby pays for itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:42 am 

Yeah, Jin hit the nail on the head. Think of those supplies as your working expenses, you pay those off usually in the first build. Also, more people then those who use my site sell puzzles. Go on eBay, you'll find a BUNCH of other people who sell puzzles. Also, if you were implying why sell on my site rather then independently, there are a couple of reasons for that

1) convenient
2) easy to use
3) it's free, i collect no commission or sample puzzle

also just to clarify something
a7xcuber wrote:
you guys that make puzzles work for Bedardpuzzles.com

Nobody who sells on my site "works for me". They are free to post puzzles as they like, run their waiting list in whatever order the want, collect payments however they want, cancel orders, and so on. It's entirely up to the builders. I have no say in what they do with their wait lists really, they aren't my employees.

But to simply answer your question....
Because puzzle building is FUN!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 am 

That was a pretty gutsy question... My answer would have been "because it's my business, not yours", but I'm not laid off.

Having said that tho, I haven't had to tap into my personal finances in quite some time for my puzzlebuilding and collecting hobby. And that includes buying or trading for some pretty decent puzzles to add to my collection. It's pretty self-sustaining once you get started. The trouble is, sometimes it becomes overwhelming. But then again, if I were laid off, I could catch up. hmmm. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 pm 

As I sat in my office and watched 30% of our office staff get laid off a few months ago, I thought about building puzzles as an income source. For me, it would have to be a temporary thing. I'm not making puzzles that generate the 'big bucks', but I would definetly not stop building.

As cliché as it sounds…..you gotta spend money to make money! If you're building a descent product, you'll get your material costs back quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:11 pm 

Enough excuses!
YOU'RE FIRED!

Pack up your things and get out immediately! :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:53 pm 

I build puzzles because its fun. I plan to start making a daily habit of 2 builds a day to get the DRD and pro-minx lists done soon. I am also looking for work again, but this hobby can sustain for the time being. Its hard times and I hope anyone else in danger of losing their jobs is fortunate to survive!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:03 pm 

So I guess the answer to this question is "Because the guys who haven't yet been laid off still want to spend!" :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:26 pm 

Scott Bedard wrote:
Enough excuses!
YOU'RE FIRED!

Pack up your things and get out immediately! :P

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 pm 

Because it is better than sleeping half of the day & watching T.V. the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:13 pm 

Hey Drew, I was wondering if you have an extra Teraminx lying around to pop on ebay if you ever have any unexpected expenses. You know, car crash, ER trips, etc. I know that if I could make something that will easily sell for $2500, I would keep one for a rainy day. :wink:

/g_admin_slap player_Jhardman_hitbox-head <dmg>1_sfx_slp3 :mrgreen:

I'm also known as: 约翰

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:15 pm 

Jhardman wrote:
Hey Drew, I was wondering if you have an extra Teraminx lying around to pop on ebay if you ever have any unexpected expenses. You know, car crash, ER trips, etc. I know that if I could make something that will easily sell for $2500, I would keep one for a rainy day. :wink:

not that much

Personal Bests -single(avg of 12)
3x3-22.21(27.09)
4x4-1:28.18(1:53.49)
5x5-3:23.99(3:55.61)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:09 pm 

Also, it isn't easy to sell a teraminx. You need to remember that puzzle collectors bleed money.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:26 pm 

:idea: I bet a white one would. :idea:

:( :oops: Something tells me I should go hide for about a week. :oops: :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:24 am 

It´s comments like this last one which can get you banned from the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 pm 

I don't get what was wrong with that last post. White puzzles can fetch a good buck.
Unless there was another hidden meaning there. I missed it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:11 pm 

EDIT: ignore this...

Last edited by Helios-Cube on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:59 pm 

That's a BIG stretch. I don't think that was his intention.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:25 pm 

I think it is not only money that rules.

In German we have two terms:
Beruf -> job
Berufung -> mission

It's a good thing, if you can make your "Beruf" to your "Berufung" also.
Well, you need a job to have regular income, that's not what puzzle
building can do at the moment. But it is a support and depending on
the price you achieve for your quality it can help.
Maybe it is just a mission for a limited time. But anyway, if people get
addicted to do so they create something they're happy with.
And that's more than many peoples get out of their jobs.

As a collector I am very glad to see, that so much creativity is out
there and people are willing to spend time, money and material to build
real puzzles as the result of their imagination. And believe me, where ever
you are in the world, there are so many other people around with no
imagination at all, that any creative head will ever be one or more steps
ahead. I do not fear about their future. They do have too much energy.

What I can do is to support them by buying the results, which are the
results of this creative stimulus. Perhaps this is enough until they get
their next job.

Frank

Link to my website: Frank's Puzzle Library
Please use puzzles@tiex.de to contact me. I disabled PMs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:47 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Let me clarify something, I am NOT a racist. I was just saying that white plastic puzzles are usually more expensive and desirable than their equal quality, black plastic counterparts.

Proof:
1) Cube4you's type-A DIY. White plastic: $7.99. Black plastic: $6.99. http://www.cube4you.com/index.php?gOo=goods_search_list.dwt&gcat=30&gtype=

2) Most of the puzzles on Scott's site. Yes I know that the extra is for cure time. That is why it proves my point. If white puzzles were not more desirable, then people would not have bought any of these white versions. But, they DID. http://www.bedardpuzzles.com/index.php?puzzles

Personally, I prefer BLACK puzzles. In my opinion, they have a more respectable, almost business-like look to them. This, again in my opinion, makes them superior to their candy-coated equivalents.

Regarding the hiding. I personally believe that I have first made a complete fool of myself in a different thread (having to do with Amazon.jp) and then this one. I though that it was best to cease posting for a week to help both myself and other people forget about that incident. Thus, eliminating any tension having to do with myself.

Lastly, I am one-eighth Native American and was raised with more of the Native teachings than the European ones, both of which, are in my heritage. The Native Americans have faced greater hardships than the Africans, caused by the whites. (when I say Whites, I mean Americans, not Europeans) The entire African culture was not destroyed. Neither were the African people. The Natives' land was stolen from them. And most of the Native people were slaughtered. Last time I checked, African land was still controlled and inhabited by living Africans. I could go on for a page or more, but I don't want to flood this topic with the views of myself, and my people.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, but these are my beliefs, and I did not mean offense by stating them.

*I am sorry for bringing this thread unbelievably off topic, but being called a racist in public is something that cannot be ignored.*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 pm 

This thread was never on-topic. How did it end up in the collecting board anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:53 am 

Sjoerd wrote:
It´s comments like this last one which can get you banned from the forum.

Helios-Cube wrote:
i'm not sure but i think there might be a hidden racism...
"white"
but i think white and black puzzles are both great....

Don't worry about that, I am 100% sure that he meant the puzzles which can have
a different look (e.g. white megaminx, white V-cube etc, and there are plenty of those, arent' there?)

I have chatted with Jon many times the last week, and he is one of the most polite
young guys I met for a long time.

So... can we please go back to the main topic please?

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:49 am 

As far as white puzzles go, I dislike them because they seem to get dirty compared to black ones.

I'm not saying one is better than the other - just comes down to personal preference.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:38 pm 

Jhardman wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Let me clarify something, I am NOT a racist. I was just saying that white plastic puzzles are usually more expensive and desirable than their equal quality, black plastic counterparts.

Proof:
1) Cube4you's type-A DIY. White plastic: $7.99. Black plastic: $6.99. http://www.cube4you.com/index.php?gOo=goods_search_list.dwt&gcat=30&gtype=

2) Most of the puzzles on Scott's site. Yes I know that the extra is for cure time. That is why it proves my point. If white puzzles were not more desirable, then people would not have bought any of these white versions. But, they DID. http://www.bedardpuzzles.com/index.php?puzzles

Personally, I prefer BLACK puzzles. In my opinion, they have a more respectable, almost business-like look to them. This, again in my opinion, makes them superior to their candy-coated equivalents.

Regarding the hiding. I personally believe that I have first made a complete fool of myself in a different thread (having to do with Amazon.jp) and then this one. I though that it was best to cease posting for a week to help both myself and other people forget about that incident. Thus, eliminating any tension having to do with myself.

Lastly, I am one-eighth Native American and was raised with more of the Native teachings than the European ones, both of which, are in my heritage. The Native Americans have faced greater hardships than the Africans, caused by the whites. (when I say Whites, I mean Americans, not Europeans) The entire African culture was not destroyed. Neither were the African people. The Natives' land was stolen from them. And most of the Native people were slaughtered. Last time I checked, African land was still controlled and inhabited by living Africans. I could go on for a page or more, but I don't want to flood this topic with the views of myself, and my people.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, but these are my beliefs, and I did not mean offense by stating them.

*I am sorry for bringing this thread unbelievably off topic, but being called a racist in public is something that cannot be ignored.*

Dear Jhardman,

i am very sorry. i wasn't trying to be rude, stupid, idiotic, ignorant or anything...
i am very sorry . i am ashamed of my self... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
again i am very sorry....

Sincerely,
Helios-Cube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:14 pm 

Helios-Cube wrote:
Dear Jhardman,

i am very sorry. i wasn't trying to be rude, stupid, idiotic, ignorant or anything...
i am very sorry . i am ashamed of my self... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
again i am very sorry....

Sincerely,
Helios-Cube

Don't feel bad. It's okay. In all honesty, I am ashamed of myself. I completely killed this topic's focus. I feel like T.V. :)
Believe me, typing that post was very difficult because I was afraid to say both "white puzzle" and "black puzzle."
That probably ended up making me sound way more PO'd than I actually was. I was really feeling more along the lines of, "Rejected already? way to go Jon..." I feel that a lot. My school isn't very tolerant and I'm not very normal. :wink: I'll probably end up deleting my post. A mix of a defense, history lesson/opinion hybrid, and a rant isn't really useful to anyone.
kastellorizo wrote:
Don't worry about that, I am 100% sure that he meant the puzzles which can have
a different look (e.g. white megaminx, white V-cube etc, and there are plenty of those, arent' there?)

I have chatted with Jon many times the last week, and he is one of the most polite
young guys I met for a long time.

Thanks Pantazis. It was really uplifting to see that you (and Flambore) had my back. In the sense that you didn't jump to conclusions and you even defended me. I'm deeply honored. :)

kastellorizo wrote:
So... can we please go back to the main topic please?

I'm terribly sorry I brought this so off topic. :(

On topic: With most of the world's major countries' economies in recession or even depression, it's good to know that a build could make the difference between living in an apartment and under a bridge. Building and selling while looking for a job puts you better off than most unemployed people. You won't be as stressed because you'll have enough income to pay the bills until you find another job. Thank goodness there are enough collectors making money to keep our friends out of the poor house.