Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Some questions on Square 1
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 4:12 pm 
Now that I am able to solve my Square 1 in a time that goes from 10 to 15 minutes (depending on I fall in an even or an odd permutation at the end of the process), I notice that in 50% of the times I find an odd permutation (just a single pair of edges to be interchanged at the end of the process), and of course I must go back to scallop/scallop shape and make a twist to interchange 2 groups of 3 corners. There are (2 + 1) questions I would like someone to answer:

1 What advantage should I have if I get back to cube shape after interchanging the 2 groups of 3 corners, with EXACTLY the SAME opposite turns, instead of with just the necessary turns?. Perhaps a shorter (and easier) solving way?

2 How could I know that a scrambled cube shape Square 1 is in an odd or an even permutation, before starting to solve it (or perhaps there is a moment in the solution process when it is easier to know the parity looking at the color of the pieces)?. It seems easier than in 3x3x3 since no piece must be oriented in the process, just put into its right place. More of the same: could we know the parity of the puzzle just from the scallop / scallop shape considering the colors of the pieces? (in this way, we could get the cube shape knowing that the parity is even, and no correction of the parity would be necessary). How much information about the parity gives us the fact that the middle layer is in square shape just when we get the upper and bottom layers squared, in the process of solving Square 1?

And another question: how can I get God's Algorithm for Square 1?. It seems larger in quantity of sequences than 2x2x2's (if any cube shape Square 1 needs at most 12 turns to get solved), because though the corners in Square 1 cannot twist as they can in 2x2x2, there are 8 edges

Thanks in advance