Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Rare" cubes on Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 1999 8:32 pm 

So where are these so called "rare" cubes, the
Siamese and Bandaged cubes comming from? Are these
brand new mutents being made by one guy or are they old mutents coming out of the closet?
Will they disapear once Meffert's new cubes start
selling?

Post subject: "Not Rare" cubes on Ebay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 1999 12:38 am 
It's basically one guy. There is a couple, but, for the last couple months, it's been one guy, and he's been making a fortune of the ignorance of others...I think it's sad

Post subject: Ssongalia's handmade puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 1999 3:21 am 

These RARE puzzles from ssongalia are nothing more than handmade variations, which is fine, but I think they should be listed as such.

He does mention that they have 'no flaws in craftsmanship' so maybe he has covered himself by doing this.

Still, if he has buyers maybe it's ok but I think to create the impression that they are now rare is not quite right. Take for example his mutant cube, 3 cubes stuck together. Have a look at the stickers. We have 1998 Oddzon cubes here folks. No different to the custom pieces I made for my siamese cube.

Post subject: =>Rare Puzzles<=
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 1999 5:12 am 
Does anyone know how this guy was making his extended cube? I thought that it looked interesting but not for $150.

How about the 2x2x2 that looked remarkably simple to solve going for over $100.....

Unbelievable...........

Post subject: mutent 2x2x2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 5:12 am 

I liked the look this variation offered on ebay and bid $40 for it, but as you said it's now over $100.
The best mutent cubes I ever bought were from Mr. Fisher in England and much more worth the time
and $$ to acquire. (and some are a real nightmare
to solve like the Mental Block)

Post subject: Mystification?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 9:31 am 

If those "rare" cubes can find real buyers, who understand that they are buying new custom made puzzles - all is OK. But I think that probability of mystification is not so small. Have you seen those rich puzzle collectors in puzzle forums, where are their web pages?

Post subject: Phantom Buyers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 1999 1:22 am 
I personally have a hard time believing that this guy has really sold any of those for that much. I've been watching his stuff for quite awhile, and it's funny how often the bids end up at the exact same amount. It just looks really set up.

Post subject: Mutant 2x2x2's and extended cubes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 1999 3:08 am 

I looks like the extended cube was just extra cubies stuck on the outer faces.

The 2x2x2 mutant looks like a bandaged cube, in that blocks of cubies have been fused together.

In either case, this is how I'm going to make a small run over the next few weeks of these 2x2x2's and 5x3x3 extended cubes (different to the extended cube - it mutates slightly). I'll have pages up showing how their made and if anyone wants to trade for them.

These will only take a few hours to make. The only thing holding them up is the stickers. I have the pvc sheets of plastic, and my die cutter should be ready this saturday or next.

Anyway, I'll announce them here.

Wayne

Post subject: Phantom Buyers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 1999 1:22 am 
I have noticed the same thing, the winning bid has ended at $202.50 more times than I would care to guess. Strange....

The other thing that I have notice is that the bidders often have low or no feedback ratings.

Not saying that it is "fixed" just my observation.

Post subject: Ssongalia's "super rare" puzzles
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 1999 3:02 am 

: These RARE puzzles from ssongalia are nothing more than handmade variations, which is fine, but I think they should be listed as such.

: He does mention that they have 'no flaws in craftsmanship' so maybe he has covered himself by doing this.

: Still, if he has buyers maybe it's ok but I think to create the impression that they are now rare is not quite right. Take for example his mutant cube, 3 cubes stuck together. Have a look at the stickers. We have 1998 Oddzon cubes here folks. No different to the custom pieces I made for my siamese cube.

While it's true that a lot of Ssongalia's "RARE =MUST SEE=" puzzles are obviously no more than Rubik or Pyramorphix modifications, he's also sold some really impressive pieces lately, such as a Skewb Diamond BEFORE Meffert released his, a very strange one which looked like it was a 12 sided puzzle with a triangle/rhombus mix, and most recently an actual Trabjer's Octahedron. At least 2 of these are obviously NOT among his standard homemade puzzle variety. If they are, I'd definitely like to know what method he's using to create them. :) L8r.

Post subject: ssongalia on eBay
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 1999 2:46 am 
Wow, I had no idea I would be getting so much attention as to have a topic thread in my honor! However, I do believe this to be a good thing, since it shows a genuine interest on your part, and some commonality on mine. Anyways, just wanted to post that I think all of this interest is great, since I was once(am still am) a fanatic of Mr. Rubik(and now Mr. Meffert). Long live the cube!

..Steve Songalia "ssongalia"

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Post subject: Skewb variations
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 1999 3:02 am 

:I'd definitely like to know what method he's using to create them. L8r.

The Rubik's diamond is a skewb variation, no different to the way Fisher does it (he actually did these long before Songalia's).

The difference is, that Fisher isn't on Ebay.

Post subject: ssongalia on eBay
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 1999 2:46 am 

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard! Yes, you certainly have attracted a lot of attention lately. Actually, you might be able to clear up some issues raised on this board.

All the best,
Wayne

Post subject: Re: "Not Rare" cubes on Ebay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 1999 12:30 am 
Why is this sad? People are being discreet in their bidding process, and I for one can attest to this as I find it necessary to reply to numerous emails(I try to respond to all intellegent emails). Also my auctions are for 7 to 10 days typically, which gives more than ample time for people to contact me with any questions, and if not they do not have to bid. If people are happy getting what they pay for, why should you consider it to be sad? Recall they are not spending your money, and how do you know they aren't rich in the first place?

Without getting too philisophical and too wordy, (which may cause ambiguity), I don't see the logic in this being "sad", where in every case the buyer is happy, and the seller is happy. eBay transactions require two parties, and if both are happy, why should a third party think this is sad?

..Steve

Post subject: Re: Phantom Buyers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 1999 12:35 am 
Hi Jeff,

If it is my auctions you are referring to, I can assure you the bidders are real. As for the coincidental common bids; my guess is that this is probably due to the commanility of each individual in society to think in terms of "rounded" numbers, ie. you're much more likely to see a bid of $100, then you are of $101. Conjure this with the fact that eBay practices policies that determine the bid increment based on the current winning bids, then you're bound to see "wierd" bids such as $102.50 and $205, etc. Hope that clears it up. HAPPY HOLIDAYS !

..Steve Songalia