Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help with Ultimate Skewb Solution
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:18 am 
I bought a Ultimate Skewb recently and I´m having problems in following the solution booklet. It is not understandable after section 2. I tried to find other solutions, and the Jaap´s site solution was even more confuse. Please, anyone could help me in this problem?
Thanks.

Post subject: Skewb Solution
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 4:18 am 

First try to solve it without instructions. You'll have a much higher level of satisfaction when you do. Plus, it's not really a puzzle if someone hands you the solution.

Here's a hint though: If you know the solution to the regular skewb cube, the only additional moves you need to learn is how to rotate the cube face centers 180 degrees. If you don't know the solution to the regular skewb cube, I would suggest trying that one first.

Post subject: Help with Ultimate Skewb Solution
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:59 am 
Since I´m not an english speaking native, the first thing I thought was that the problem was in some specific english term or expression. Translating the solution literally showed that this was not the problem.
Here are the problems that I´m encountering:

(excerpts from the booklet, and my comments on parenthesis)
"2. Now the four corners are in position around the first edge (ok), the other four (?) should also be correctly positioned. (Which "other four"? Does it mean that 1-I must turn the puzzle to see it from the other side, and to look to the oposite edge, to position the "other 4 remaining" corners? If I check it, for example, 2 of the remaining 4 corners on the opposite site should be incorrectly positioned, or even all. 2- Ok, I must ignore "the other four" and keep on following the instructions to these first four.)

Clockwise and Anti-clockwise algorithms for the (should I call it "left middle corners"?) and
Clockwise and Anti-clockwise algorithms for the "right middle corners".
(Well, where are the algorithms for the 2 "top" corners in the first edge? Should I ignore it or try to use the same algorithms above? If yes, which other edge must I refer now?)

3. "Now the top corners are positioned and orientated (No, they are NOT). The bottom corners must also be positioned correctly (Which "bottom corners"? Are he refering to the real bottom corners in the "floor" of the dodecahedron? or the middle/equatorial corners?)"

"The basic move for swapping edges without altering the top corners as is follows.(Strange, were we supposed to position correctly the bottom corners now?
If not, where is the information to position it correclty before begin to swap edges without altering the corners?)

Well, after that, it became impossible to follow this booklet.

Please, if anyone can answer those questions, I would be very grateful.

Thanks for the attention