Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I just got my 3x4x5 by MF8.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:31 am 

I did one turn on it and the thing exploded and some of the corner pieces appeared to have broken really badly. After the 3x3x4 and the 3x3x5, which I enjoy very much, I think I'm officially done with cuboids. If this is how the 3x4x5 is going to turn, then screw it. I don't want to explore this direction more if they're going to be this fragile.

This week was already frustrating enough, I was hoping this package could help brighten up my days, but nope. It just frustrated me way more... What a waste of money.

Post subject: Re: I just got my 3x4x5 by MF8.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:40 am 

Pithecanthropus wrote:
I did one turn on it and the thing exploded and some of the corner pieces appeared to have broken really badly. After the 3x3x4 and the 3x3x5, which I enjoy very much, I think I'm officially done with cuboids. If this is how the 3x4x5 is going to turn, then screw it. I don't want to explore this direction more if they're going to be this fragile.

This week was already frustrating enough, I was hoping this package could help brighten up my days, but nope. It just frustrated me way more... What a waste of money.

The 3x4x5 turns great, you just have to tighten it significantly from the state it comes in, I don't know why it comes this loose, but once tightened it turns great. If the corner pieces have broken, then I wonder what happened, because it shouldn't be possible to break corner pieces just from popping pieces. I wonder if you tried to shape shift it in the wrong direction, as it can only shapeshift in one direction.

Don't give up on cuboids. Not one of mine is fragile, and I have (I think) all the currently available mass produced ones.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:50 am 

[Moderator]I have moved the topic to "General Puzzle Topics". "New Puzzles" is for puzzles new to the whole community.[/Moderator]
I understand your frustration, but the only instance that can help you is the shop you got the puzzle from.
The mf8 3x4x5 is a pretty stable puzzle.
So something must have happened during production or transport.

Please, contact your seller and if it is a serious shop, they will help you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:48 am 

After seeing videos and reading martywolfman's post, I think I figured it out. It might have been too tight because it was not loose at all when it arrived and seemed exceptionally stiff and I probably just did not know my own strength in that instant. I guess I was just too excited. :oops:

The corners also may have broken after the puzzle fell apart. I didn't notice it was broken until I tried to put it back together. Maybe I accidentally stepped on the corners or something? Who knows. Now thay I've slept on it, I'm just going to accept full responsibility for what happened after I was able to calmly recall the events. It probably was my fault, i was wearing shoes at the time

I should have learned with my 3x3x4 by C4U when I got it and the top and bottom layers locked up so bad they wouldn't turn at all and the slightest push popped the puzzle, but I fixed that when I noticed the capsfor the pieces in the innermost layer weren't pushed in all the way. Now that puzzle is the best turning puzzle I have from just pushing the caps all the way in.

Lesson learned: I guess I have to inspect the puzzle's internals and tensions before I try to turn anything if the puzzle is even hinting that it's having some trouble. And don't play with temperamental puzzles in shoes!

I won't right now, but in the future I'll probably end up replacing the puzzle. I actually feel better admitting my idioacy than thinking I got burned. In the least, I exercised my full right as the owner to be the one who broke it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:28 pm 

I've only got a few cuboids (2x2x3, 3x3x4, 4 2x3x3's) and they've always been fine.

Recently got the 2x3x4, but it has internal bandaging, and I haven't played with it enough yet to know how robust it is.