Above:The black side scrambled.
Click a thumbnail to see its larger version and description.
This twisty domino differs from standard dominos in surface treatment and inner mechanism. Its most immediately noticeable differences are its indented pips and yellowed white cubes.
- Inventor: Unknown
- Mechanism: 2x3x3
- Patents: Unknown
- Producer: USSR
- Year: Unknown
- Original Price: $6.67 USD
- Current Price: $121 USD
This domino differs on its surface in several ways from standard dominos.
1) There are openings to its insides. The openings are to allow its cubes to rotate past elements of the mechanism while twisting around the two-cube-tall axis. They show while rotating around either of the two three-cube-tall axes. There are openings on all of the edge cubes.
2) The pips are indented as well as painted.
3) The plastic of the light-colored cubes has yellowed with age.
4) There are no friction-reducing ridges between cubes like those on standard dominos.
The original price is based on the official exchange rate (0.6 rubels per dollar) although in socialist time this was completely theoretical. The price (in rubels) is printed on the leaflet in the package.
A fifth difference is in the core design which is not covered by the original patent filed by ErnÃ¶ Rubik.
One source states that this domino was made in Ukraine after the Hungarian Domino, and that the main production of the facility that created it was for the Soviet army. The military producers there had to make something for consumers as well.
There were at least two different body colours, prooved by images 10-11.
Image #12-13 proove that there has been soime kind of DIY kit.
If you're looking to buy, eBay is the one place you can find almost anything... if you're willing to wait for it, then pay the price!
Thank you to the following people for their assistance in helping collect the information on this page: Louis.
Found a mistake or something missing? Edit it yourself or contact the moderator.